Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mold in Pump Tubing (AHHHH!)

Angry Mold in Pump Tubing (AHHHH!)

Okay, so I just found mold in my pump tubing. I am not sure how long it has been there. I quickly snipped it off and sanitized the rest of the tubing. I called my LC and she said that she would give me some new tubing and that it was not necessary to throw away the milk I had pumped since the mold was from condensation and not milk overflow (I have never gotten close to overflowing my cups).

Has anyone else experienced this or have tips to avoid in the future? I leave the tubes running after I am done pumping as the manual says, I hang up the tubes after each use, and I sanitize them quite often.

Default Re: Mold in Pump Tubing (AHHHH!)

Ive never had that happen.And Ive never remembered to leave my pump running either.
    Im sorry that hapened to you

Two things I do to help with the condensation are 1) run the pump with just the tubes hooked up (like your LC said) and 2) put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in them and leave them hanging up to dry. Unlike water, the alcohol will evaporate out leaving them clean.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Do you have a Medela? I was told that this happens with Medela...
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    Do you have a Medela? I was told that this happens with Medela...
    Yes....I love my Medela though. I guess everything good has to have a bad trait also.