Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I go from overactive supply to low supply?

Question Did I go from overactive supply to low supply?

Hannah is 2.5 months old now, and up until this week nursing had been going great. I have always had an overactive let-down, which I have learned to manage thanks to you ladies , and for awhile, was over-producing. So, I did block feedings and that took care of the problem...maybe too well perhaps?

For about a week now, she is so fussy after a few minutes of nursing. I burp her, put her back on the same breast, she latches on like a starved child, takes a few sucks, and comes off screaming. Now this is several minutes after the milk flow has slowed down, so I know it's not because it's coming out too fast or anything. And she isn't refluxing either. I check to see if milk is still coming out, and it is drizzling out slowly, but definetly not gushing out like when the milk first lets down--so I am wondering if she is frustrated because it has slowed down now? Or because that breast is now pretty much empty?

I have tried continually putting her back to the first breast, in an attempt to "show her" there is still some milk there, and because I want to make sure she gets the hindmilk too--not just the foremilk. But she pushes off of me like I am trying to fool her.

At any rate, I switch her to the next side, the milk lets down, and several minutes (maybe 3?) later, she is still screaming hungry. But acts like there is no milk left anywhere for her to drink. I feel horrible! What is the problem? Up until this past week, I was doing one-sided feedings and she was happy and content. But now she nurses off of both sides and still acts hungry.

So the question is--is my supply fine, but she now expects the entire feeding to come out fast, and gets frustrated when it slows down? And of so, what do I do about this?
    Or did I kill my supply doing block block feedings, and if so, what do I do about that? Is it possible this is just a growth spurt? Can that happen at 2.5months?

Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: Did I go from overactive supply to low supply?

I'm not an expert on oversupply issues nor have I had any experiences with it, but what I think is that maybe she was so used to the milk to come out so fast that she's getting frustrated now, just like when bottle feeding. How's the baby's diaper output? If it's o.k your supply should be fine and your body just adjusted to it. The grow spurt should happen around three months but I think that's just an average, I guess it can happen right before or after that age.

She is having more than enough wet diapers--like 10! And 2-3 yellow seedy poopy diapers each day. Is that the only way you can tell if your supply is okay? I guess I figured wirh her acting that way, my supply was down. But maybe not?

I don't think that's the only way but that's the best indication that baby is getting enough. I guess she'll just need a little while to adjust to the new flow.

You're doing great mommy!

My 7 week DD is doing the same thing - but not at every feeding. I also wondered if I should now feed on both sides, too. The OALD seems to be better managed by her and maybe that is the reason she gets frustrated? It's hard to tell what it is - could it be slow flow, thrush, reflux?? I would just keep track of how often she seems upset with the flow. Maybe she will adjust?