Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Baby Won't BF During the Day!

Default My Baby Won't BF During the Day!

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a bf problem and I hope that someone can help me.

My baby is 7 months old and we started solids at the six month mark. He is not particularly fond of them and we had a very slow start. Now the only foods he will eat are cereals, sweet potatoes, and some fruits. To make matters even worse, he now refuses to bf as well. He is still nursing at night every 3 to 4 hours. However, when I offer my breast during the day he might suck for just a minute or two and then will refuse it or he might just refuse it completely. I'm very concerned because I know that the milk is where his nutrition should be coming from. He is underweight according to the charts, and he is extremely constipated. His poops are hard and he cries every time he tries to go. This has been going on since I started him on solids and it is only getting worse. I've tried putting my milk in a sippy cup, but that is not working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
    Jennifer

Default Re: My Baby Won't BF During the Day!

How old is your son? Does he cry from hunger even though he is refusing your breast?

Personally, I would stop all solids completely and just put him to your breast as much as possible. (I've done this several times since we started solids.) Have a day or a weekend, if you can, where you just stay mostly in bed playing and nursing. Or take some warm baths together and see if he'll nurse then. My LO always nurses during a bath if I offer him my breast.

My LO had pooping problems too after we started solids. We were advised by the dr. to give him 1/2 a glycerin suppository every 3 days or so when he was having a lot of trouble. We got them OTC and they aren't medicine per se - they don't enter the baby's bloodstream. They just act as a slippery coating.

HTH! Good luck!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: My Baby Won't BF During the Day!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    How old is your son? Does he cry from hunger even though he is refusing your breast?

Personally, I would stop all solids completely and just put him to your breast as much as possible. (I've done this several times since we started solids.) Have a day or a weekend, if you can, where you just stay mostly in bed playing and nursing. Or take some warm baths together and see if he'll nurse then. My LO always nurses during a bath if I offer him my breast.HTH! Good luck!
    Also, depending on how old your baby is, he may be getting to the age where he is just really distracted by everything else going on in the room. Maybe try a quiet dark room to nurse it.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!