Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Pump?

Default Used Pump?

Hello! I am not sure if this has been posted or not but I thought I'd ask....I am due in May and my Aunt has a Pump in Style pump she said I could have, she used it about 7 years ago and just held on to it , but I was wondering if I get all new tubing is it sanitary?
    Thanks

Default Re: Used Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by justmeandfamily View Post
    Hello! I am not sure if this has been posted or not but I thought I'd ask....I am due in May and my Aunt has a Pump in Style pump she said I could have, she used it about 7 years ago and just held on to it , but I was wondering if I get all new tubing is it sanitary?
    Thanks
    It should be--I had to rent a hospital pump (medela Lactina) and I just had to purchase all new tubbing. But once I was done with the rental I returned it and they just rent it out again. Have you tried applying for WIC because if you are going to EBF they will supply you with a brand new pump with all the necessary tubbing--that is how I received my pump (Ameda Purely Yours).

HTH
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Faerie Fertile Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justmeandfamily View Post
    The general concensus is no because a Pump in Style (PIS) is an open system. This means that milk could (theoretically, at least) get from the tubing into the motor and vice versa. The PIS is considered a single user item (like a toothbrush ). In fact, Medela will not honor a warranty if the pump has been passed on to another user.

This link explains the difference between open and closed systems
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html
    More
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

Some mamas do choose to use a used PIS. If you decide to do so, definitely change all the tubing, membranes, ect and sanitize the pump as best you can. Personally, I don't think I would. But, I *would* use a used Ameda/Hollister Purely Yours since it is a closed system. Another thing to note is a seven year old pump not be in the best shape. Consider all your options!

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    It should be--I had to rent a hospital pump (medela Lactina) and I just had to purchase all new tubbing.
    A rental pump (Lactina, Classic, Symphony, ect) is a closed system. That is why they can be rentals as all the parts can be santized. The Pump in Style is NOT a rental pump and it is an open system, so it is a single-user item. Hope that clears things up!

In addition to the pp information I pose that a 7 year old pump may not be nearly as efficient as a newer model.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie Fertile View Post
    A rental pump (Lactina, Classic, Symphony, ect) is a closed system. That is why they can be rentals as all the parts can be santized. The Pump in Style is NOT a rental pump and it is an open system, so it is a single-user item. Hope that clears things up!
    Cool Beans! I stand corrected
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Thanks everyone!
    I was feeling odd about it! It is a nice gesture, I may just accept it but not use it, and check with the hospital about renting one. The WIC thing seems like a good idea too! I will have to check in with them to see if we qualify (I'm pretty sure we would)! Thank you for all the information on open and closed systems, I really didn't know there was a difference!

deleted posting
    Last edited by amyped; January 2nd, 2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Delete

I think the idea is not to criticize those that do choose to reuse an open system, but to avoid suggesting on this forum that people take chances that could potential affect the health of their baby. While the truth is that it would be difficult to pass on a milk borne disease or illness from the amount of milk left in a pump; it is still possible.

You may have had no problems and felt ok about it, but if she were to use a similar pump and then contract HIV for example, we would be at fault for suggesting she DID use the pump. Hope that makes sense.

I would have to agree with Carpenter girl.

If you have insurance they may be willing to provide a breastpump. Mine bought me a Medela PISA as durrable medical equipment b/c I was returning to work. Here is a link I started on it: http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...ight=free+pump

Just a suggestion....
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

That stinks that a PIS cannot be reused. I was hoping to sell mine after I finished with it.

I don't think many people realize they cannot be reused b.c. I have seen a few being sold on Craigs List and I know a few moms in our Moms Club have passed theirs around.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!