Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you know how much cereal to give?

Default how do you know how much cereal to give?

ok, how much cereal do you start with? and then how much breastmilk do you put it in? what amount do you eventually work up to? thanks for any help!

for example, do you put 1 teaspoon of rice cereal in 3 tablespoons of breastmilk and then have the baby eat all of it, or do you do the above and then have baby eat only 1 teaspoon of the mixture? (i just pulled those numbers out of my head, i have no idea how much to give.)

Default Re: how do you know how much cereal to give?

How old is your baby? You don't have to do cereal in case you didn't know. Here are some links about not doing cereal:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Here is a quick quote from the second link:

Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby's first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and because most babies sometime after the 6th month require an additional iron source other than mother's milk. If your baby starts solids around 6 months or later, there is much less chance of allergic reaction to foods. It's debatable whether healthy breastfed babies need the extra iron (you can get baby's iron levels checked if you're worried about this). In addition, infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit). Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron.
    Anyway, if you still go with cereal (we did) I would just experiment. We tried it really watery at first and the gradually made it thicker. Some babies like it this while other like it really thick. I don't think that there are any "rules"
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Angitay View Post
    How old is your baby? You don't have to do cereal in case you didn't know. Here are some links about not doing cereal:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

yep - not necessary and in some cases it can make babies reflux flare up.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yes, i know cereal isn't required. but he didn't seem to take to the other food i tried, but loved the cereal. i just don't want to give him too much, how do you know how much is too much?

I tried mixing the cereal myself and lo won't eat it, so I tried the jar kind and he loves the oatmeal one (it's mixed with bananas).
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Are you talking about how much to feed them at one sitting? I just listened to my mothers and only gave a little. If you give them until they stop eating there is always the possibility that your milk supply could decrease by him not needing you as much. I just followed what the box said and stayed there for awhile. Maybe 2 teaspoonfuls. Hope this is helpful.

our cannister did not have any directions on how much. yes, i am referring to how much at one sitting, and how many sittings in one day, etc...