Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.5 month old gags on all solids

Default 8.5 month old gags on all solids

I'm so confused. My 8.5 month old whines at dinner like he wants some of our food, but he gags on EVERYthing I put in his mouth. And I mean everything (except the breast, of course). Cereal (rice, oatmeal, whole grain), cheerios, rice cakes, pureed baby food, table food...you name it. I can occasionally get him to eat the oatmeal cereal, but it has to be really thin. He's not a small baby - was 9+ lbs. at birth and has consistently been on the average to bigger side (currently at 18.11 at last check around 7.5 months). We were out at a restaurant a few weeks ago and I saw a baby younger than him gobbling up scraps from her parents' dinner plate! No way he could do that. My first-born was eating table foods by this point. Should I be worried or just give it up and try later? I don't know if I should push it and keep trying (and feel terrible every time he gags) or just skip it and try again in a month. Advice? Thanks!

Default Re: 8.5 month old gags on all solids

A good gag reflex will aid your child in not choking. For the most part its normal. Do small soft foods for a while, and eventually as your baby gains dexterity with his tongue you move to harder stuff like cheerios or more than one cheerio at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    A good gag reflex will aid your child in not choking.
    That's funny because just today I was looking at him thinking "well, guess he won't be swallowing a penny anytime soon!" NOT that I won't be eagle-eye about small parts being around him, but goodness, if he can't swallow a lump of rice cereal, I doubt he'll be trying much else.

The gagging scares me, though. He'll turn red and won't swallow until that lump of whatever is washed out by saliva that inevitably spills out of his mouth while he's not swallowing. It's frustrating. You'd think by 8 months, almost 9, he'd be able to swallow a little more...

Anyway, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CJMommy View Post
    he gags on EVERYthing I put in his mouth.
    Perhaps he's just not ready yet.

Have you tried letting him pick up food and put it in his own mouth rather than you putting food in his mouth for him?

The idea behind baby led solids is that the baby's ability to pick up food and self feed happens at about the same time that their gag reflex begins to disappear.

And perhaps when you put the food in his mouth for him it's accidentally going too far in and more likely to trigger that gag reflex.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

And I highly recommend taking an infant CPR class. You'll learn what choking is (obstructed airway - can't breathe) and how to help your LO.
    Lynn

A little boy I watch was almost the same way. He could eat pureed stuff but nothing else (and he still gagged on that sometimes), hes 14 months now and just barely starting to be able to eat some solids like cheerios and crackers. The dr said he has a really sensitive gag reflex.

He can pick up food and put it in his mouth. I've tried those Gerber puffs thingies and he puts it in his mouth, chews it, and then pushes it back out with his tongue. If it goes too far back, he gags. He gagged a lot as a baby as well on his own spit. I think he does just have a really sensitive gag reflex. I keep telling him, "just swallow it!" because it seems like such torture to have it stuck back there. I wouldn't dare give him anything that doesn't dissolve on its own or that isn't soft/mushy.

If he's pushing it out with his tounge it sounds to me like he's just not quite ready. No big deal - some LO take longer than others to lose that super sensitive gag reflex.

We did baby led solids and my DS didn't really eat much until he was about 8.5 mo.

And I've read plenty of posts by moms who did baby led solids who said that their LO didn't really eat until 9 mo or later.

ETA: I'd wait and try again in another few days or week or so.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    If he's pushing it out with his tounge it sounds to me like he's just not quite ready. No big deal - some LO take longer than others to lose that super sensitive gag reflex.

We did baby led solids and my DS didn't really eat much until he was about 8.5 mo.

And I've read plenty of posts by moms who did baby led solids who said that their LO didn't really eat until 9 mo or later.

ETA: I'd wait and try again in another few days or week or so.
    That's good to know. Thanks! I think I'll lay off for awhile and try later.

Quote Originally Posted by CJMommy View Post
    He can pick up food and put it in his mouth. I've tried those Gerber puffs thingies and he puts it in his mouth, chews it, and then pushes it back out with his tongue. If it goes too far back, he gags. He gagged a lot as a baby as well on his own spit. I think he does just have a really sensitive gag reflex. I keep telling him, "just swallow it!" because it seems like such torture to have it stuck back there. I wouldn't dare give him anything that doesn't dissolve on its own or that isn't soft/mushy.
    My LO is similar. He eats baby food just fine. But he will gag on anything that is more solid (green beans, those puff things, mashed potatoes, bread). He can chew on a toy all day long. Finger food-no way! He is 8 mos and I'm just offering him new food and modeling how yummy it is everyday (well almost everyday)