Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I'm getting a clogged duct, help!

Default I think I'm getting a clogged duct, help!

LO is now 8 1/2 mths old and has been doing wierd things, like not nursing very often and when he does, he takes a sip and then yanks off, looks for daddy or the dog, or anything else, talks to it, and then yanks back on. When he does nurse now, it's not for long, (but he doesn't act hungry in between.) Can the short nursing sessions, yanking, infrequency,etc, cause a clogged duct?

I had one months ago, and it got to the point I was constantly in tears because of the pain. This one is starting to hurt pretty badly, and I can feel the lump. Is there anything I can do to catch it before it gets really bad?

Default Re: I think I'm getting a clogged duct, help!

Yep, erratic nursing can certainly cause a plugged duct. Here's some info about what to do. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html Massage while nursing or while hand expressing at the end of a shower is usually the most helpful to me. Also, if you have better luck getting him to nurse well right before a nap or at night, make sure he nurses on that breast so it gets drained more fully.

He nurses practically all through the night, so I guess I can use that side more....it HURTS when he latches on and off!

i would nurse like crazy from all angles! and take a nice hot shower and let the water pour on the breast.
    hope you feel better soon!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

I'm prone to plugged ducts. When I get one, it hurts when my DD latches too. I nurse frequently and try and change positions and massage/heat. I find the best position for emptying the duct/breast is laying baby down on the bed and getting on all fours above her and nurse her from above. This is using gravity. It's not comfortable at all ... but it works for me. Good luck!

Nurse nurse nurse! Angle your baby's chin towards the lump. The part of a baby's mouth that does the work is the chin. hth. Hate clogged ducts, they make me fearful!

I put a hot washcloth on it and massage. My dd does the same she wants to look around, sometimes I hand express after she nurses to drain it more.