Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much BM should DD be drinking a day?

Question How much BM should DD be drinking a day?

Some of you may remember ... my 10 month old DD is on a nursing strike. Here we are going on day 11. Uggg. In any case, she seems to be a little constipated. Her stools are much more solid than they ever were before. I've cut out the water that I used to give her throughout the day in the hope that she'd take in more BM. Now I'm worried she isn't drinking enough. She eats between 3 and 5 jars of stage 2 baby food a day. How many ounces of BM should she be drinking? She weighs just about 22 lbs. Thanks!

Default Re: How much BM should DD be drinking a day?

Ailish's Mom -

How is your DD doing? Is she still on strike or has she returned to nursing? If she's still on strike, I just wanted to send you some encouragement to keep trying and to wish you all the luck in the world with getting her back. I know how it feels to want your baby to nurse again. My son has been on strike for a month now. I keep offering even though he keeps refusing. Even though it's not as traumatic as it once was, it is still heartbreaking. I truly wish for you and your DD a return to nursing soon.

As for the amount of milk your DD should be getting... the book that I use to guide me (Baby 411) says that a 9-12 month old should be getting 20-30oz of milk/day and eating 3 meals/day (1 stage 3 jar at each meal or bite sized pieces of table food).

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

Default Re: How much BM should DD be drinking a day?

Thanks for the info and support. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through a nursing strike with your DS too! Unfortunately DD is still at the picket line. I'm hanging in there. I'm taking comfort in knowing that she is still getting the nutritional benefit of the bm. I'm just sad, like I am sure you are. I also keep trying to look at the positives - of which there have been many. DD can be comforted by dad now much more than she ever was before because when she wakes up in the middle of the night she isn't looking to nurse. That's great for them! Also, I know that my DD will be a confident and self-assured young lady one day because she is certainly asserting herself now . She is also sleeping better because she isn't up every 3-4 hours to nurse.

It's funny, you know. I'm getting all the things I've been asking for (a more helpful DH, a DD who sleeps more, a little more freedom during the day, etc.) - but I guess I just didn't realize that the universe would bring the answers to me this way. Careful what we ask for, right?

In the meantime, I'll keep pumping and trying to get DD back to the breast. Thanks to everyone for your continued support and advice.