Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt or return of AF supply issue?

Default Growth spurt or return of AF supply issue?

My LO is 3 months old (well, he will be on Jan. 3). I've had a really good supply up until now. He nurses about every 3 hours, with one longer 94-5 hour) stretch at night. He normally cluster feeds the last hour or so before bed.
    A few days ago, he began nursing every hour or so doring the night, and more frequently during the day. His cluster feeding has gone from 1 hour to 2 or more hours.
    I chalked this up to a growth spurt.
    However, he spaced his feedings out more last night, and in between I noticed that my breasts did not get really FULL like they used to.
    He's still feeding more frequently today (day 3 of this), and my breasts still don't have that very full feeling.
    Add to that I'm cranky, tired, backache, and craving chocolate.
    Could my milk supply be diminishing due to AF getting ready to return? Or is this just the 3 month growth spurt?

Default Re: Growth spurt or return of AF supply issue?

I noticed that my breasts did not get really FULL like they used to.
    Well at 3 months my breasts began to adjust to "know" what DS needed. I definitely felt less full and leaked less.
    Or is this just the 3 month growth spurt?
    There is a typical 3 mo growth spurt which it sounds like your son is going through. Is he sleeping more throughout the day? DS did that with the early growth spurts.
    Could my milk supply be diminishing due to AF getting ready to return?
    If you are BF that often it is unlikely (though not impossible) that AF would return so quickly. So unless you are TTC hopefully its not that.

Default Re: Growth spurt or return of AF supply issue?

Sounds like normal growth spurt behavior to me.
    Craving sugar can be a sign that you need more protein (lasting energy) in your diet. It makes sense if you think about the increased demand on your milk supply. Try eating more snacks.