Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now What?? Please Help!!!

Default Re: Now What?? Please Help!!!

Being a slow gainer isn't a disaster.
    we all know babies grow in spurts.
    my dd was always kissing the bottom of the growth charts, at 3 years, she still is - she weighs just under 12kg (around 25lbs), and she's not too tall. but she's very developed in all other areas, and advanced in her speech and already writing her own name.
    my cousin was the same, always tiny, bf until 3, and grew up to be a champion runner and is now studying pre-med.
    just keep breastfeeding on demand, your baby will surely get everything she needs.

Hey, I have a 4-year-old who weighs in at around 28 pounds. Grows up, not out. Talks like an adult, very coordinated, etc. Just shrimpy. Don't get scared, especially if you & the father don't weigh 600 pounds or something.

Quote Originally Posted by msteen76
    Hey, I have a 4-year-old who weighs in at around 28 pounds. Grows up, not out. Talks like an adult, very coordinated, etc. Just shrimpy. Don't get scared, especially if you & the father don't weigh 600 pounds or something.
    Well, no, we don't weigh 600 pounds, but we aren't small people...he is 6'5" and 265....I am 5'11" and 155 (hopefully less as time goes on ) my other two children were always very high on the charts (or off the charts in dd1 case) in their height and very well in the weight area too....but this one was born smaller, and I need to remember that too...
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

My 2 1/2 year old is off the charts on height, normal on weight. Each kid is different. I'm sure you've noticed!! As long as she's developing normally, I wouldn't worry. Easier said than done, huh? She'll do what she's supposed to do.

My mom said that I was not gaining weight and the doctor wanted her to supplement but an LC told her to put me in bed with her and let me feed whenever. By the next appointment, I had gained plenty. (I'm not 27 and reading this forum because I have a 5 week old.)

yeah, my 3 year old weighs 25lbs and she's incredibly advanced in all other areas. be thankful it's less to carry

Most FTT problem have other sypmtoms too, they are behind in milestones, are sleepy and don't respond well to caregivers-FTT is failure to thrive in all areas not just weight gain.
    That being said, FTT is often diognosed without the other sypmtoms, only failure to grow.
    I have 2 boys who don't grow well. My 1st DS is 3 and is only 20 1/2 pds and 32 1/2 inches tall. He look and act healthy, is meeting all milestone except some gross motor skills and those he is behind on ONLY bc he is too short to do things most 3 year old can do, if you are in a room with him for 30 second you can see he is looking and acting fine, just looks like an 18 months old! And he is in 18 month clothes, and 3-6 month shorts!
    Now my 10 month old is 13pds and 26 inches tall, 3 month clothes and some 6-9 month clothes, he is meeting milestones just fine and acts fine too.
    BUT both boys have enzyme definciancies that causes malabsoption of sugars, that is why they are so small. It took MONTHS and thousands of $$ of tests to discover this, and this is only after my 1st DS LOOKED VERY SICKLY at 10 months old. James never got sickly due to doing the test earlier. But thisdisorder had symptoms other then small stature, they had frequent VERY green mucuousy stools with blood streaks in them and dark circles under thier eyes plus excema.
    Symptoms of underlining illnesses to FTT vary but there is other syptoms here are some examples:
    frequent coughing, frequent infections and illnesses, dark circles under eyes (allergy shiners), cronic diarreah with or without blood, cronic constipation, very thirsty, lots of urine output (way above normal), wasting of underlining fat and muscle tone on body (this looks like just loose skin hanging of off the body-gross looking! LITERALLY hanging, as in you pinch the skin and it just flops down, not bounces back), Frequent vomiting or spitting up, prjectile spit-up, refusal to eat, unable to swallow.