Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now What?? Please Help!!!

Unhappy Now What?? Please Help!!!

Well...we had our 4 month checkup today, and my fears were confirmed. My little peanut gained a mere 1 pound and 4 ounces in a little over 2 months!! I just don't understand, her wet and poopie output is great, she's content after nursing, so why isn't she gaining??? I only nurse off one side per feeding, so the Dr. suggested I try both sides each feeding and she wanted to see me again for a weight check in 2-3 weeks...I don't know what else to do!! I've nursed both sides before, and that didn't seem to make any difference! I guess I'll just try and see...but some other suggestions would be great....what is wrong with my milk that it doesn't have enough calories for her...or is it her? Why doesn't she eat more if she's not getting enough calories?? Help me understand this please!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Default Re: Now What?? Please Help!!!

I forgot to mention, she is growing fine in length and head circumference, but her weight has dropped WAY off the charts...her milestones are ok...I just totally don't get it...

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

There's a LOT more to "failure to thrive" syndrome than simple weight gain. Her diaper output is good, she nurses well, she's content after eating, she continues to grow in length and head circumference -- and she IS gaining weight, just more slowly than average ... if she is also doing 4mo developmental milestone stuff -- then there may well be no problem at all aside from the dictates of the weight charts -- which, BTW, were NOT designed to reflect the growth of exclusively breastfed infants and are distributed by formula companies.

Please do NOT rush assume there is any problem with your milk. This is probably just your little one's genetic growth pattern. Many breastfed babies start out growing faster than formula-fed babies, and then after some months switch to growing slower than formula-fed babies.

--Rebecca

jennyalger,
    We had the same problem with my ds. He stopped gaining weight for about 1.5 month. At his 2 mo visit he weighted 10lb 2 oz, two weeks later his weight dropped down to 9 lb 7 oz at this 4 mo visit he was at 10 lb 13 oz. He is now almost 6 months and weights a little over 13 pounds. I would not worry about it. Maybe she is just a slow weight gainer like my ds was. Just keep doing what your doing. He weight will catch up. Just be sure to keep an eye on her output.
    Don't stress yourself out. You lo will begin to sense your stress. That is what happened to us and then I started having supply issues. I finally just quit worring about it. I no longer have supply problems and ds is growing like a weed.

My baby has NEVER grown well. At 2 weeks she hadn't been back to her birthweight...at 2 months, she started dropping further on the charts, and now at 4 months, she has dropped even more...I mean, barely over 1 pound in over 2 months? I can see a dip for a bit, but she just doesn't put it on...according to everything I've read, acceptable weight gain for a bf baby is 4-6 ounces per week...my baby only gained a little over 2 ounces per week, half of what is considered 'acceptable' even by breast feeding standards. She is 4 months old and 0-3 month clothes still are too big in the waist...I can't pass this off as normal...My first didn't have a lot of baby fat, but none of the babies in the family have ever dropped like this. I am just sick about this, I can't stop crying...I don't want to be done, so if you have any ideas of how to pump extra calories into my dd...I'd be happy to try them!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Hi,
    I am sorry you are so worried! How long have you been block nursing? Did you just start or have you always done it? Was she a full term baby? I agree with Rebecca, just because she isn't gaining as quickly doesn't mean she is "failing to thrive." Some children really are just petite and they're ok. My cousins baby girl is one if them. She's 2 & 1/2 only weighs 23lbs and is only about 30 inches tall. She walks she talks (in complete sentences mind you!) She's just little.We love her just as much! We expect she'll be about five ft or so and weigh about a buck when she's grown.
    That said you have to trust your instincts. If your instincts tell you she needs a supplement, give it to her. And don't think if you do that, it means you have to be done nursing! You can continue to nurse her and still give her something "extra". At the same time if every fiber of your being tells you your doing everything your supposed to and she's not crying out in hunger, you may just want to wait and see.
    Another suggestion; You may have already tried this. But sometimes with block nusring they reccommend you use the same side a couple of times. My friend had a patient who couldn't get her baby back up to her birth weight and she was 8weeks old!! She would nurse but never for long enough to get any hind milk. She had to start bottle feeding her. (EBM) But it was the only way to make she she got the fatty stuff everytime!
    SO please don't let the doctor visit be the reason your doubting yourself or your baby. But at the same time do what ever you think you must to be "OK" with were she is developmentally. I hope this helps and please keep us posted!

I have a friend who had a similar situation with her daughter. At the four month mark she weighed just about nine lbs, but was a content breastfeeder and was hitting the milestones and so forth. She did start supplementing with formula, but she said what really seemed to help was when they started solids a couple months after that. Now at one year she's well over 25 lbs! So, perhaps when the two of you are ready introducing solids will be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    How long have you been block nursing? Did you just start or have you always done it? Was she a full term baby?
    I have been block nursing for about 1.5-2 months. I let her nurse on one side until she is done...and next feeding 2-3 hours later offer the other side. When she is done with side one and I offer side 2, she rarely takes much, if anything at all. She is very content after nursing (after she gets her burp out anyhow!) She was born at 37 weeks, which I guess is considered full term.

Quote Originally Posted by freeresponse
    she said what really seemed to help was when they started solids a couple months after that. Now at one year she's well over 25 lbs! So, perhaps when the two of you are ready introducing solids will be the answer.
    You got me to thinking....my 1st dd was a bit like this, but she started out so much bigger (8lb2oz over 6lb15oz) that I never noticed a dip on the charts, or the dr. never said anything....but I got looking at her baby book and between the ages of 2 months and 4 months, she hadn't even gained a full pound! Now, she was on formula for 3/4 of that timeframe, so calories shouldn't have been an issue. I started her on rice cereal at 4 months, and between 4 and 6 months she gained 4 pounds...and between 6 and 7 months another 3!! That was a huge uplift in my thinking! I know they say not to introduce solids until 6 months, but the Dr told me that if I want to try a bit of rice cereal to get her more calories, I could try but to make sure that it did not interfere with how much she is nursing...and give nothing other than rice cereal until at least 6 months...there have been no allergies ever in either side of the family, maybe I'll try it??

Thank you all for your responses...I look back and hope I didn't sound too outrageous in those posts...I was totally freaking out, and am very thankful that you ladies were here to get my brain working properly again! I'll keep you posted...I'm still a bit worried, but maybe it is the way some of my kids just grow??

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Are you using a pacifier? All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. If she is sucking on her hands or anything else put her to the breast.

Are you co-sleeping so that she has access to the breast throughout the night?

I would pump and offer pumped milk as a supplement before considering anything else.

momuvseven

Of course you didn't sound outrageous -- it's so natural to be concerned when your baby is significantly out of the "norm" in some aspect. The fact that you are worried and want to figure out the best way to proceed demonstrates simply that you are a good mother.

It's so interesting that you can look back and see that your first daughter also gained very little during this same 2-4 month age span. Yes, she was bigger to begin with, so I know they're not the same kid, but this still suggests to me that a growth curve is partly shaped by genetics.

Your first daughter gained well after you introduced solids; it seems from what you say that she was fine before that (despite little growth btw 2-4 months) and also after that. Perhaps your 2nd baby is also fine, just following her own growth chart as she happily and contentedly nurses. Remember that no solid food matches breastmilk's nutritional quality, and that statistically, early introduction of solids is linked with early weaning.

LLL's recommendations for starting solid foods just touch on a couple of guidelines -- that you start sometime in the middle of the first year, that you watch for signs of readiness in the baby (interest in eating solids, outgrowing the tongue-thrust reflex etc.), and that you start with nutrient-dense foods like avocado, sweet potato, or banana.

Rice cereal is actually pretty low on the scale of nutrition -- aside from carbohydrate energy, there's not much in there. With the new recommendations to avoid "white" grains and instead eat more whole grains, I think that's another strike against giving traditional rice cereal as baby's first food.

--Rebecca
    Last edited by quakerm0mma; June 23rd, 2006 at 04:38 PM.