Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oatmeal and rice cereal

Default oatmeal and rice cereal

My dd had painful hard poops today after going 4-5 days without a poop. I had just started oatmeal shes 5 1/2 months old and I think thats what did it. Or it could be the rice cereal I mix up with homemade squash to thicken it. Should I just withdraw solids for a couple of days then start w/ just fruits and veggies?

Default Re: oatmeal and rice cereal

yup at that age its ok to cut out all solids and then start again slowly..

Okay, only problem is that she seems to want to eat especially when I start cooking. Today I just gave her a little homeade applesauce, like 3 tsps. I would think apples would help

are you doing bananna?
    My dd cann't have a whole one or she'll have trouble for shure.
    Its diffent for each kid...
    Maybe just cut the grains out untill she has a good poo and then add some in slowly.. will she self feed cold cereal?

She has definently had a lot of bananas lately I didn't know they could block you up. She will feed herself a little sloppily with a spoon or mesh feeder.

cut them out and see if that helps...
    I bet thats the problem!

Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast are the BRAT diet that is recommended when people have diarrhea. So all of those things can contribute to the constipation. We offer real oatmeal made with whole oats and water every day and have never dealt with constipation.

Babies do seem to want to eat, but usually I think they are trying to imitate you. I bet if you gave her a spoon and an empty cup or bowl, she'd have just as much fun.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

yeah at that age I'd give them a spoon and a bowl with maybe 6 or 8 puffed rice in and let them go to town. IF they got some in their mouth that was ok.

I would suggest balancing the fiber-y foods with meat/protein and fats. Broth/soup is good too. This is what helped my DD after a year-long struggle with constipation. Basically all she had when we started solids was fruit and veggies, so I knew that had to be the problem. (No way was I going to do cereal when I knew it could cause constipation and that grains are hard to digest!) Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My pediatrician said that bananas and rice cereal can cause constipation. She said if baby gets constipated to mix some prune juice in with the rice cereal, or to give her some prunes baby food.