Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused...New mommy

Default Confused...New mommy

My almost 3 months old son sleeps in his crib in our room and usually wakes up to eat every 2-3 hours at night. Last week we were away for the holidays so I let my son sleep with us and he woke up every 4 hours and one night it had been 5 hours. And there were some nights when I had to wake him up a couple of times to eat. So he actually slept more soundly than he does in his crib.

I read that some 3 month olds may start sleeping through the night (the max mine has gone is 5 hours so far). So if he starts sleeping through the night, or starts sleeping for 4+ hours at a time, should I be waking him to feed? If not, should I pump to keep up supply? And should he still be eating 8-12 times a day?
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Default Re: Confused...New mommy

If he is healthy and gaining, having enough wet & dirty diapers, just follow his lead and enjoy the extra sleep! (Just don't plan on it lasting forever though - chances are he will go back to waking frequently at various stages in his young life.)

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My 11 week old is sleeping 10 hours a night and has been for the last two weeks. She gradually started sleeping longer and longer and I have not had any problems with my milk supply. I did get a little engorged in the beginning. She does nurse for 1-2 hours straight before bed - I think she is stocking up for the night. Her weight gain is great and there are plenty of dirty/wet diapers , so I don't worry and enjoy the sleep!

you don't need to wake the baby (unless your doc is telling you to) and you don't need to pump. your body adjusts to what your baby needs. if you pump, it just tells your body that your baby needs food then. you will be engorged a little at first, but that will go away. I don't remember how often my kids ate at 3 months. I think my son nursed every 2-3 hours until he was about 6 months old (except for at night...he would either sleep thru or wake once). Enjoy the sleep!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I think 5 to 6 hours or more is sleeping through the night. My 51/2 month old wakes sometimes twice sometimes once or three times. I wouldn't worry it will keep changing(maybe).

Unless there are underlying issues and doctors orders I would Never Wake A Sleeping Child!!!!! As pp said, enjoy the extra shut eye. Sleep patterns change as often as the sun rises

:agree LET SLEEPING BABIES BE..... :agree

The first time my LO slept longer than 5 hours, I was so engorged by 3am that I couldn't sleep. Had to pump a few ozs. That was it, only one night, one time. The body has a miraculous way of figuring out how much you'll need and right when you'll need it!

He might feed more during the day now that he's sleeping longer at night, or he just might becoming a more efficient eater and getting more out of you at one feeding session, so just follow his hunger cues and eventually a
    "pattern" stabilizes itself.

Enjoy your sleep while you can get it... Hope it lasts!