Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch!

Default Ouch!

Well, Jazzy had her first tooth break through but with it came some problems. She hasn't bitten me with it yet, but instead her latch seems off now. No matter what I do she seems to latch poorly. We're both frustrated - me because of the pain, her because I keep unlatching her when she just wants to nurse

She's 5 months old.... do teeth usually cause latch change? I didn't BF my older ones near long enough to even consider this issue.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Default Re: Ouch!

I'm in the same boat as you - I only BF DS1 for 3 months so teeth were never an issue. But DS2 has just cut his first two teeth over Christmas, and I have noticed a definite difference in his latch. He seems to want to be more shallow which is obviously causing me some discomfort. I've been trying to make sure his latch is deeper which does seem to help a little.
    We need some more experienced BF mamas!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I've got cracks now Rang in the new year in tears from the pain.

I honestly think this hurts more then anything else I've experienced with BFing.

~*Allee*~

to you both! I haven't been through this yet as LO doesn't have teeth yet. In the meantime, I found Mother's Mates to be really soothing when I had sore nipples. They are breast pads that are plastic with a soothing gel on them, and they're meant to help heal when you're sore. they're disposable. Also, using (re-usable) Lilipadz instead of regular pads helps them heal because the plastic doesn't stick to a wet nipple the way a paper one does. Good luck.

I've been avoiding a bra for now... It was hurting too much. I started with lanolin again and an old ratty t-shirt for around the house (making sure I don't stain a shirt I like). But, I really gotta get her latching better, or none of this is really going to do much good....

~*Allee*~

Can you see an LC or LLL leader? I think in person help is the best way to get latch advice.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

DS has been feeding A LOT today, and his latch seems to have improved a little. I wonder whether he was so bad yesterday because of one or both of the teeth bothering him. He is better in himself today and his nursing has been better.
    Allee I really feel for you and your cracks . I had really bad cracks with DS1, and they would bleed and stuff. I couldn't stand the pain anymore and that's partly why I stopped BFing. Of course I should have consulted an LC but I was really wet behind the ears and just gave up instead.
    Hope those cracks heal. The deeper latch has definitely helped us today.

Sometimes a baby will latch differently when teething. This happens for us, especially when there is a new tooth coming in and the gums are sensitive. My dd also has latched weirdly for the first few days after a new tooth is in while she gets used to it, but she learned to open her mouth more and it ceased to be an issue, as I'm sure it will for you.

To help prevent biting, make sure you some kind of teething toy around so the baby doesn't feel the need for counterpressure on her gums with the first thing she gets in her mouth.

Just in case, if your lo does bite, you can pull her into your breast to block off the air supply to her nose and force her to let go to breathe. They catch onto that quick. I also just pinched dd's nostrils shut (somehow easier for me), and she let go pretty quick and gave up on the biting and this other awful thing she would do where she would bite down, then push at my breast with her hands and pull back with her head. The first time she did that was the only time in my life I can recall ever going, "YOW!!"

Ok, I HTH!

Her second bottom tooth popped through this morning. I do hope we get the latch right consistently, as we're about 50/50 right now. No LLL leaders around here, unsure about true LCs.

Feels like the top 2 are close now too

~*Allee*~

Allee I am really feeling for you right now. The only respite I have is that at least Jack doesn't seem to have any top teeth coming in yet.

He really has been like a different baby today. Feeding well and napping well, more his usual self. Still high needs and clingy but I'm used to that now!! I am sort of expecting tomorrow to be not so good again cos I think the second tooth wil be about the same stage as the first tooth was yesterday, and that seemed to really bother him.

Thanks Abby for your input, it's good to know that their latch and feeding behaviour can change in the way that we and you have described. You know you're not on your own, and that helps!!