Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old frozen breastmilk--use or throw it out?

Default 6 month old frozen breastmilk--use or throw it out?

Hi:goodvibes: After refusing to drink out of a bottle her whole life--my 8 month old DD just drank 1 oz of bm from one. I have some frozen that I hate to waste (there is alot in there), but its 6 months old, I fear I waited too long. ITs in a seperate freezer compartment from my fridge, but not in a deep freeze. It still looks really good, no freezer burn or anything, but I think Ive read that its only good for 3-4 months. What do you all think? Why does it even go bad? What would be the harm in using it--anyone know? Im usually a stickler for all these rules but Im wanting to use it b/c Im curious to see if she;ll drink more than I can give her at this time of day (its bedtime in Alaska), and if it will help her sleep longer thru the night. Shes been nightwaking for 2 months (LOTS). I want to weed out if its hunger or teething or sep. anxiety or HABIT. But I gave my pump to a friend and my supply feels, just, lower now. Need to know if I should get another pump and try and boost my supply. Sorry so long--please any advice soon would be appreciated...

Default Re: 6 month old frozen breastmilk--use or throw it out?

Have you smelled/tasted it? Mine smelled rancid after 4 months, I think - I had to pitch it all I think it's probably no good after that amount of time, but I'm not sure. If it smells and tastes okay - maybe

I think it's okay if the freezer is separate from the fridge and kept at a cold temperature.

But I don't necessarily agree with introducing bottles just to try to get her to sleep longer. I think it'll just make things more confusing instead of less. Nightwaking is totally normal and can occur for many reasons. I don't think a bottle is going to help that.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I think it's okay if the freezer is separate from the fridge and kept at a cold temperature.

But I don't necessarily agree with introducing bottles just to try to get her to sleep longer. I think it'll just make things more confusing instead of less. Nightwaking is totally normal and can occur for many reasons. I don't think a bottle is going to help that.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

You could also consider donating it if you do not need it.
    Here is a link with more info on milk donating http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...t=milk+banking
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

At about that age my DS went through a major growth spurt, so was feeding a lot during the night to increase my supply to meet his extra need.

And of course if you are concerned your supply is low night feeds are the best way to increase your milk.

Giving her more via a bottle will not necessarily help her sleep longer, or through, the night. Even FF babies will wake up throughout the night. My advice: tell yourself that you're just going to be a lot more tired during the BFing months/years and find ways to deal with it. (i.e. take some time for yourself each day, have relaxing baths at night, go to bed earlier to accomodate the lack of sleep, etc...) You do get used to it. I have become accustomed to a perpertual state of exhaustion.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

You can donate it. Milk banks take BM up to 1 year old.