Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st Time Mommy~Worried

Unhappy 1st Time Mommy~Worried...pls advise

Hello Mommas My DS who is 12 weeks old has transitioned to nursing 2-3 hrs at a time. However, for the last two days he has gone almost 6 hours between feedings and shows no interest to nursing @ night. He only wakes up to be rocked back to sleep. We called our 'Nurse Connection' & they suggested it may be because I am suffering from a severe cold and so DS may also have a cold (no runny nose though) that may affect him not wanting to nurse(the ped. said he may be lazy to nurse again- so we gave him a bottle which he took when he was half asleep after 6 hours). No sign of sores in his mouth, just milk tongue and his diaper output is normal-both wet & poopy. I am so worried that something may be going on that I am not aware of. Has this happened to anyone or anyone that you know of? Please advise TIA
    Last edited by JayNchris; January 1st, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
    Christine
    1st time Mommy to Jayden 10/04/07
    Wife to Jayson 05/06/06
    Learning

Default Re: 1st Time Mommy~Worried

Hello there!

I know that many babies after 3 months start sleeping through the night, so what your LO doing is just normal, she is taking longer stretches of sleep at night. Keep track of her wet and poopy diaper, if the output is enough, then stop worrying and start sleeping... Enjoy it!!

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Agreed.. also another alternative is he may be starting some teething pain - sometimes the discomfort causes them to not latch as well and therefore not nurse.
    When you say he shows no interest at night- is he showing interest during the day still? I mean if this is just a nice 6 hr stretch at tnight - i agree again in that you can get some extra shut-eye!!

here's a link to check that diaper output

it's the nature of children to settle in to something then throw us parents for a loop when they change it up!!! that never ends!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

expect sleeping pattens to change!
    Some babies are just good sleepers right from the start.
    Others give moms and dads fits.
    baby is going to hit a growth spurt too where all they want to do is nurse and thats normal too..
    count diapars, if they are low sometimes adding an extra feed in the eve wile your watching tv can realy help.

ITA with PPs. Bottles should be a last resort! They can cause a lot of issues and really undermine your BFing efforts. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Unhappy Re: 1st Time Mommy~Worried

Thanks for your responses ladies. I am ok with Jayden not wanting to nurse at night and accept that as a change. However what I am not so sure about is how he has gone from 2-3 hours between nursing to 3-6 hours in the DAYTIME between feeds This is my concern, can anyone relate or ???
    Christine
    1st time Mommy to Jayden 10/04/07
    Wife to Jayson 05/06/06
    Learning

6 hours during the day is not enough!! Do you offer him the breast and he refuses?? He should be eating at the min every 4 hours... but more like every 2-3 during the day. It could be that he is not feeling well but if this continues I would talk to your ped...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My daughter who is now 4 1/2 months old eats every 3-4 hours during the day and she sleeps at least 8 hours (sometimes 10 hours) at night. She's been doing this for over a month now! When I finally realized that she was OK I decided to enjoy the sleep at night! She does wake up during the night and I'll give her a pacifier...then she goes right back to sleep. Enjoy!
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01