Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green & blood poop- oversupply or allergy???

Default green & blood poop- oversupply or allergy???

My LO has had green poop for the past month and the ped said not to worry as long as she has been gaining weight..which she has. However, she is 10 weeks now and still pooping after every feeding. Explosive poop. Yesterday she had blood in her poop and i got so nervous. I looked online and I am not sure if it is milk allergy or if i have an over supply of milk..

I am so confused. I have had more dairy than usual (cheese) over the holiday so I was thinking dairy, but the website described all my LO symptoms as an over supply issue.."fussing, pulling off the breast, colicky crying, gassiness, spitting up, and hiccupping. They may want to nurse frequently, and they may gain weight more rapidly than the average baby "

Has anyone had a problem like this?????

Default Re: green & blood poop- oversupply or allergy???

Have you mentioned the blood to your dr? Unfortunately I don't know what would help in that situation, though I'm sure someone on here will!
    Meanwhile, sending you lots of .

Came across this while I was looking up something else - "If a breastfed baby is sensitive to a particular food, then he may be fussy after feedings, cry inconsolably for long periods, or sleep little and wake suddenly with obvious discomfort. There may be a family history of allergies. Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood."
    The whole article can be found on Kelly Mom.
    HTH

fresh blood, or older brown colored blood? In what quantity?

streaks of fresh red blood. Not a lot, just a few streaks.

It is possible that the streaks of blood could be from an anal fissure. You could have the pedi look at it to confirm. Hannah had that problem when she was about 5 wks old. Her pedi gave us a bunch of anusol to put around her anus every time we change her. it cleared up after a while. I have heard that you could also use vaseline.

thanks everyone
    I go to the pedi tomorrow and there has not been any more blood in her poo!! yeah yeah

Brookesmom: great site for your poop colour reference in the future:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

HTH and congrats on your new baby!