Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I had to stop, now what?

Default Re: Help! I had to stop, now what?

I'm really new at this .... I know that when my milk was coming in and I would get really full I would fill a sock with rice and heat in the microwave for about 3 minutes.... then place on my breasts. This "heating pad" of sorts helped to "loosen" things up so I could feed. I would look into a mixture of heat and/or cold?? Cabbage leaves I hear are good for the cold. Not sure if that will help you or not... Good luck, and I don't judge anyone for having to stop. I have had cracking and bleeding and my LO is slightly tongue-tied which makes it really difficult... I have wanted to quit many times. Don't worry!! It doesn't make you any less of a woman, any less of a mother etc....

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

I know how aweful thrush can be. You gotta do what you need to do to be the best mama for your baby.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Just a note that I was thinking of you when I woke up this morning and hope that you're feeling better, regardless of what you decided to do . I hope I didn't seem pushy about continuing, that wasn't my intention - I just wanted to offer encouragement that it will eventually get easier if you stick with it now, but if you don't do that, its not something you should feel guilty about either.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    Just a note that I was thinking of you when I woke up this morning and hope that you're feeling better, regardless of what you decided to do . I hope I didn't seem pushy about continuing, that wasn't my intention - I just wanted to offer encouragement that it will eventually get easier if you stick with it now, but if you don't do that, its not something you should feel guilty about either.

I know I came across pushy, for that I'm sorry. It stems from doing exactly the same thing as you with both of my older kids. I quit BFing cold turkey early on and have always regretted it. Until this forum I honestly didn't know that there was a better way to go about weaning. Now, with my newest LO because of the ladies here I've gotten through the rough spots and have decided to nurse for as long as DD2 wants. Good luck to you, I hope you find what works best for you and your LO

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Grab the cabbage leaves, toss them in the freezer and stuff them in your bra for the day. You'll smell pretty ripe later, but it really does help relieve pain/engorgement/etc.

I agree about the tight bra. I made that mistake when I had my first child (was not weaning her, just wearing a really tight bra for support) and I suffered from 10 plugged ducts!!!! Ouchie!! Go get a nice, supportive, but not tight, bra and use the cabbage leaves. Cold compresses work, as well.

I would also use the manual pump to express milk to comfort. It'll take a little while, but it's so much better. You're already having issues, no use in adding more to that pot.

So sorry this didn't work out for you. Have you considered attending a local LLL? I'm sure you'd get TONS of support there and have the help of the local leader (LLL was my savior when I was having issues).

Congrats on your new little one...and congrats for making a very hard decision that you felt was best for everyone.

Sending you lots of

just wanted to give

Thanks for all the help and support. Yesterday I started breastfeeding about every other feeding or just when I could and the pain was still pretty bad. I went back to the doctor today and she gave me antibiotics, diflucan, and an ointment to use. I'm going to use lotrimin on the baby's bottom, because she has a mild yeasty diaper rash. This is it, if it doesn't get better, I'm just going to gradually wean her off. It was just really frustrating to be so miserable after all the research I had done beforehand. I've read books, internet articles, this forum, and it was so saddening not to be able to do it. My nurse in the hospital said it best, "This is the most unnatural "natural process!" Oh well, I'll let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again.

That is cool that you are going to give it another chance. The diflucan made my thrush bearable in just a few days. It came back again but not NEARLY as bad, and this time vinegar rinses seem to be doing the trick. I hope it clears up quickly for you.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Best of luck to you, that's great that you got those prescriptions. I hope you're feeling better soon, I think everything's going to be fine because you're in the right place for help - these ladies know what they're doing and I appreciate these forums so much
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Just out of curiosity, WHY did the doctor give you antibiotics? This is likely going to make the thrush that much worse. I had thrush with Shiloh and what worked for me was increasing yogurt, probiotic caplets, vinegar rinse, bras dried in the sun, changing nursing pads often....to name a few.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!