Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I had to stop, now what?

Default Help! I had to stop, now what?

Ok, please do not reply to this with judgement or advice to keep going. I have exclusively bf for 1 month and have had problems with oald and then repeated yeast infections. I finally decided that bf was not for me. I beat myself up about it and cried and broke down, but I swallowed my pride and stopped. I know it's recommended that this is a gradual process, but I was so sore from the yeast that I decided to just quit altogether. I can't pump and store it, because the breast milk would contain yeast and I only have a manual pump and that would be impossible. Please advise me on what to do in the meantime and how long this process will last. I'm currently wearing a tight bra and using ice compresses and taking advil. Should I take a warm shower? or keep them out of the water? I also have cabbage leaves, but haven't used them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help! I had to stop, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by kstockstill View Post
    Ok, please do not reply to this with judgement or advice to keep going. I have exclusively bf for 1 month and have had problems with oald and then repeated yeast infections. I finally decided that bf was not for me. I beat myself up about it and cried and broke down, but I swallowed my pride and stopped. I know it's recommended that this is a gradual process, but I was so sore from the yeast that I decided to just quit altogether. I can't pump and store it, because the breast milk would contain yeast and I only have a manual pump and that would be impossible. Please advise me on what to do in the meantime and how long this process will last. I'm currently wearing a tight bra and using ice compresses and taking advil. Should I take a warm shower? or keep them out of the water? I also have cabbage leaves, but haven't used them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I'm only asking this because you mentioned only having a manual pump--if you had an electric pump would you try pumping? And is your yeast infection gone? About the pump if the answer is yes then have you tried getting one from WIC? That is how I got my electric pump--it's really nice (Ameda Purely Yours). I signed up for WIC but if you consider doing this you have to make sure to let them know you are EBF because they will only allow so much formula in order to give you a pump. About the yeast and feeding there is information regarding being able to feed the baby expressed milk on this site as well as kellymom.com and Dr. Newman's website.

Now, if you don't want to pump even with an electric pump and just want to dry up do not take a shower as the water will stimulate your let down and just encourage your body to produce more milk. I think you will just have to endure the pain for now and wrap yourself tightly with bandages. I am sure that someone else will have other advice for you. I hope that you don't remain in pain too long. And just know that you get no matter what you choose.
    Last edited by malleyboo; December 31st, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

stopping abruptly like this is setting yourself up for even more problems - clogged ducts, mastis, an abcess - all those are possibilities and none are fun!

your LO will master the OALD, yeast can be treated....

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Thanks Malleyboo! I pumped for a month with my first child, but I don't really want to this time. I'm in a lot of pain and the pumping hurts just as bad as the nursing. I have candidiasis and years ago went on a elimination diet and even took allergy shots for it. I already can't eat bread, pasta, enriched rice, etc. and I have to watch the sugar. If I eat these things I have migraines and one mushroom is an instant yeast infection. I'm really tired of fighting this and I know that my lo and I will constantly have to fight this. It's a battle I'd rather avoid. Her diaper rash even cleared up since I've started giving her formula. It's not really her problem, it's all me. I know this is not the preferred decision, but I really cannot emotionally handle the stress of trying over and again to get rid of this without success. This is a decision I agonized over, but I know it's what's best for my family. Thank you for being supportive. I needed that!

I'm really tired of fighting this and I know that my lo and I will constantly have to fight this.
    I know its really hard right now, I am so sorry about that . I'm not being judgemental but I had to say that I it gets SO MUCH EASIER, if I stayed the way it was for me the first 6 weeks I wouldn't still be doing it, but I am SO GLAD I toughed it out. And I think that's why you'll hear a lot of people telling you to tough it out right now, because you're making a permanant decision based on temporary stress. Stopping your milk supply is not going to make life easier, formula makes things harder. I'm so proud of myself for sticking with this. The cost of an electric pump is less than you'll spend on formula in like 2 months I bet, nevermind the health benefits for both of you. If I were you, I would run and get a pump now and buy yourself some more time to work things out, even if you have to throw out the yeasty milk right now - that's doesn't make it not worth it. Is there a lactation consultant you can meet with? Again, I'm not judging you, I'm saying to hang in there because you can do it - we're here to offer (and get) help and have been there too.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you; I wish it was easier for you but you need to do what's best for you and your little one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycie1 View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you; I wish it was easier for you but you need to do what's best for you and your little one.

Ditto. And that "best" is not the same for every mom. for you, especially for making such a tough decision.

I have exclusively bf for 1 month and have had problems with oald and then repeated yeast infections. I finally decided that bf was not for me. I beat myself up about it and cried and broke down, but I swallowed my pride and stopped.
    It is clear that this was a very difficult decision for you.

I know it's recommended that this is a gradual process, but I was so sore from the yeast that I decided to just quit altogether.
    Right! It is definitely not recommended to stop cold turkey if at all possible. The reason being that cold turkey weaning could lead to further issues such as plugged ducts, mastitis, or breast abcess.

How would you feel about hand expressing or pumping at least *just enough* for comfort? Meaning that you wouldn't be pumping in order to build or maintain production, but just enough for your breasts not to become overly full. This small amount of milk removal would not encourage your milk production, but would help protect you against problems due to milk stasis (milk not moving out of the breast).

I can't pump and store it, because the breast milk would contain yeast and I only have a manual pump and that would be impossible.
    It is not recommended to store for future use during a thrush outbreak, but it is fine to feed to your baby now. So, if you did feel the need to pump or hand express, the milk you express would not need to be wasted.

I'm currently wearing a tight bra
    Some mothers find that it is helpful to wear a comfortable, well-fitted, supportive bra. Note that a tight fitting bra could be similar to having the breasts bound, which is no longer recommended for mothers who are weaning as it can greatly increase your chances of getting plugged ducts, mastitis, and breast abcess.

and using ice compresses and taking advil. Should I take a warm shower? or keep them out of the water? I also have cabbage leaves, but haven't used them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Ice packs can be helpful. Some mothers find a bag of frozen peas to be quite comforting.

Hot showers can often be comforting, as well. You might even find it helps to express *just enough* milk for comfort while showering.

Ibuprofen (if recommended by your doctor) can be comforting as it not only helps relieve the pain, but also helps relieve inflammation.

Cabbage leaves can help relieve painful engorgement:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Here's a (non-LLL) resource that offers some suggestions for comfort while weaning:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

I'm in a lot of pain and the pumping hurts just as bad as the nursing. I have candidiasis and years ago went on a elimination diet and even took allergy shots for it... I know this is not the preferred decision, but I really cannot emotionally handle the stress of trying over and again to get rid of this without success. This is a decision I agonized over, but I know it's what's best for my family.

I'm so sorry that you have been in so much pain and that you are struggling with this infection so greatly. Do you have local support? Are you being treated for your infection now?

This article is about yeast and the information is beneficial to any family that is experiencing continued infections. Yeast isn't just in our bodies, it's in our homes and even in our pets! There are so many little things that we can do to help get yeast in control. I hope you find this article helpful:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

As a total aside, please know that breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Partial breastfeeding/breastmilk feeding, even if for only the duration of the weaning process, is always an option. And, if you should get the cadidiasis infection under control and wish to resume nursing later on, that is an option, as well.

Remember that every drop of breastmilk your baby received is beneficial. One month of breastfeeding is nothing to sneeze at!

Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks Malleyboo! I pumped for a month with my first child, but I don't really want to this time. I'm in a lot of pain and the pumping hurts just as bad as the nursing. I have candidiasis and years ago went on a elimination diet and even took allergy shots for it. I already can't eat bread, pasta, enriched rice, etc. and I have to watch the sugar. If I eat these things I have migraines and one mushroom is an instant yeast infection. I'm really tired of fighting this and I know that my lo and I will constantly have to fight this. It's a battle I'd rather avoid. Her diaper rash even cleared up since I've started giving her formula. It's not really her problem, it's all me. I know this is not the preferred decision, but I really cannot emotionally handle the stress of trying over and again to get rid of this without success. This is a decision I agonized over, but I know it's what's best for my family. Thank you for being supportive. I needed that!
    You are most welcome! Believe me I do understand--within a month of my LO birth I had mastitis twice, cracked, bleeding and sore nipples not to mention LO had a terrible latch. I was sitting at the kitchen table one day literally crying and having a mini breakdown when I called my DH at work to tell him I was going to see a lactation consultant ($70phr) and rent a pump
    ($50 pmt) thank GOD for WIC.

My LO is 5 months now but because of the above I had to supplement with formula and that's what I sent to dcp--I did nurse him once home but even then some formula was used. I am off from work now for Christmas break and have been able to EBF him--but it has taken up to this time for my LO to get it together. I never imagined it would be this hard because with my oldest (8) I was a sah mom and EBF with none of the problems I had with my Challenger. So again I do understand.

IMO though because you are in such pain check with your OB to make sure you don't have mastitis (that requires an antibiotic). Also here is a link that hopefully will ease this process for you; http://www.ehow.com/how_2044885_dry-...lk-supply.html.

Stay encouraged we all do the best we can.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Ok, please do not reply to this with judgement or advice to keep going.
    Hello, I can see that you might be feeling as if people might judge your decision, and I wanted to state that this forum is about supporting mothers and offering information when it is requested, as well as other things. Making the decision to wean is an emotional choice and one I am sure you spent some time considering. It is time to wean when the breastfeeding relationship isn't working for either mama or baby or both. Clearly you feel that this time is here.

Breastfeeding for the first 4 weeks is an achievement, you have supported your baby's immune system and fed your baby an easy to digest milk that meets all the nutritional needs of a growing human infant. I can see that you really were making a serious effort, and for personal reasons felt that you had enough.

I used a manual pump myself and got good results. Taking some of the pressure off your breasts will be really relieving right now. It may make your sense of urgency dissipate.

I understand that having a baby react differently to formula can be reassuring when you feel like your milk wasn't agreeing with your baby. I would like to point out however that formula will always be harder to digest, and less effective nutritionally. Your milk is really perfect.

I have done some reading about systemic yeast problems and women, and it seems like it can be overwhelming. Having a new baby and dealing with pain, on top of watching your diet and getting no regular sleep sounds hard.

If you are really done with breastfeeding and feel like you will not mourn your decision in the future, I highly recommend the use of cabbage leaves. As well as reducing swelling fluids, cabbage has the ability to start the process of reducing a woman's milk supply. I will need to refresh my facts a bit, but there is an element in cabbage that is released that lowers levels of Prolactin with regular use, is some women. I'll need to dig that reference up for you.

Whatever choice you do make, I think all the women here would like you to succeed and feel positive about the level of compassion and support you received here. If you do sense that some women are questioning you decision it is likely because the experience of breastfeeding can be such a lasting and wonderful time for mama and baby. Perhaps we privately lament your difficulties and wish to provide you with hope for success if you choose to continue.