Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: prune juice for constipation?

Default prune juice for constipation?

My LO is 5.5mo. We just introduced solids and he seems to be a bit constipated (i.e., we see a stool every other day)
    Would you try giving him prune juice?
    What kind should I buy? Is there a special "baby prune juice?"
    Is it better to give him prune puree?

THANKS!

Default Re: prune juice for constipation?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

dr sears has some good info on his web site
    At that age it would be ok to cut back all solids and then start again slowly.
    lots of kids don't do well with cereals.

Lack of stools doesn't = constipation, but the form in which they come out does. If it's still soft he's not constipated
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

when my DS does not go for a day or two, i just give him prunes (puree) and he'd go after an hour or two.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by andreitaks View Post
    My LO is 5.5mo. We just introduced solids and he seems to be a bit constipated (i.e., we see a stool every other day)
    Would you try giving him prune juice?
    What kind should I buy? Is there a special "baby prune juice?"
    Is it better to give him prune puree?

THANKS!
    Gerber makes baby juices, My lo does better with the Apple Juice.

We found that balancing out fibrous foods with meat, fat, broth & yogurt were the key to keeping DD regular. When she started getting constipated at the first introduction of solids (mostly fresh fruit), it just went downhill from there. We tried everything under the sun (yes, prunes included) and it kept getting worse. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

my DS only goes about every 3 or 4 days now, but he is definitely not constipated.

babies can go up to 2 weeks without pooihng and it is still considered normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    my DS only goes about every 3 or 4 days now, but he is definitely not constipated.

babies can go up to 2 weeks without pooihng and it is still considered normal.
    Yes, but if the frequency is slowing down after introducing solids, then I would suspect they are causing a problem. Especially if they are firmer (which solid poos are), then they are no longer the same as an EBF baby, who can go 2 weeks without a problem. Then you will be clued in to the problem when LO starts straining and crying. If it is constipation it will continue to get worse and worse without intervention.

Not to be snarky, but when this was happening to DD everyone kept telling me that a week between poops was okay. We learned the hard way that when there is ANY solid food involved it is a whole new ball game. You have to pay close attention to any signs that are telling you something is not right, IMO. If babe is the least bit uncomfortable then I would take heed and make adjustments to her diet, even if it means going back to EBF until you can straighten things out.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Lack of stools doesn't = constipation, but the form in which they come out does. If it's still soft he's not constipated
    Before my lo began solids, he was ebf and only pooped once per week.

Once we began solids, he went more frequently, but his poop was harder and much more difficult to get out. We had to help him using various methods.

Now that he eats solids twice per day, we avoid constipation all together by mixing 2 to 3 tablespoons of prune juice and the same amount of water in his food. The prune juice provides fiber which moves things along and the sugar pulls extra water into the poop, making it softer. Now his poop is nice and soft and he doesn't strain and is not pooping in pain.

If we don't do the prune juice in his food, we give it by bottle. Again, just a couple or few tablespoons with same amount of water or you may get more than you asked for in the diaper.

Be sure that since your lo is just starting out that this is in addition to bf'ing, not instead of a bf session. For now, treat the feedings of solids as if they're dessert. This will be the case for some time, until solids become the majority of where lo gets nutrition.

Introduce the prune juice just like you would with any new food using the 4-day wait period to watch for any sensitivity.

You can use the expensive apple-prune juice or prune pureé from the baby isle in the store. We simply use prune juice from the adult section and water it down a bit. It is much more cost effective that way.