Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cough Medicine

Unhappy Cough Medicine

Hi,

is there any Over the counter cough medicine that I can take that safe for breastfeeding?

Thanks... I can't take this anymore.. I'm coughing and sneezing and wakes my baby up

Default Re: Cough Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    She's 6 months old

I had a bad cough and I took Delsym. The kellymom web site said it was safe, but I still felt kind of bad taking it. My LO is 5mo and the 3 nights that I took the Delsym he slept through the night for the first time, so I felt kind of bad. It was probably just a coincidence, but I only took it for those 2 nights and he has not slept through the night since...

I would take it again if I cannot sleep well, because that may affect my BM supply, but otherwise, I would not.

Good luck!

older baby like that you should be ok to take what ever your doctor said was ok when you were pg.
    Hope you are fealing beter soon!

Hi, I read that honey is better than cough syrup etc.. for coughs. I would think that would be okay to take while bf. You could make a warm tea and put some in or take a spoonful and see how it works. I also put a link below with some suggestions. Hope you feel better.

http://www.grannymed.com/meds/cough.aspx
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs