Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chicken pox and breast feeding

Default chicken pox and breast feeding

Hi i am nursing twin girls who are 2 years and 8 months and one has just developed chicken pox and i am expecting the other to get pretty soon got high temp etc do you think the milk will still be giving them plenty of immunity as they nurse still quite often probably 5 times a day and during the night that is both of them and do you think they might not be as bad with the chicken pox as a bottle fed baby at this age

thanks louise

Default Re: chicken pox and breast feeding

Sorry to hear your babies have chicken pox. I'm pretty sure that BM does make the difference and BF does have a calming effect which will make your LOs feel a bit better.
    Last edited by @llli*mami.kathy; June 20th, 2006 at 04:24 PM.

my dd had the chicken pox at about one when my 9 year old brought it home from school. She had the mildest case..
    What worked for us what that lotion that has oatmeal in it.
    She was to little to even know to pick and itch.
    just make sure they are drinking lots so they don't end up in the hospital.
    good luck...
    I think I read someplace that if one child has it in the home the others have a 90% chance of gettting it.

Why might they end up in hospital

If they get a fever that gets out of control and they get dehydrated, they might need to be hospitalised. BUT this is really rare.
    keep them drinking and comforted as best you can.
    and when it seems tough, just think of the fantastic boost to their immune system that they're getting! its rare to get chicken pox a second time, and the younger you get it, the easier it is.

I am always so grateful for b/f when my daughter gets sick. She got the chicken pox even though she had been immunized. It was a "mild" case but she felt plenty sick. She would nurse even when not that interested in solid food, and I was grateful.

Just wanted to give you support! DS got chicken pox when he was 10 months old, and it was very tiring. However, I was very glad that I could "nurse" him through it.

I don't know any specific information about BFed babies doing better during chicken pox than formula-fed. I, personally, didn't have chicken pox, but I got the vaccine before I got pregnant. I don't know where to find scientific information on passive immunities in breastmilk and whether there is a difference in, say, immunity acquired through getting an illness versus having been vaccinated against it.

DS seemed to have a pretty classic case of chicken pox (he had a fever for a few days and lots of blisters). However, he remained pretty cheerful throughout the ordeal and I never really worried about his health.
    Last edited by hilde; June 30th, 2006 at 10:07 PM.