Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis at 15m?

Default Mastitis at 15m?

My daughter is 15m and BF has been smooth sailing from day one (thanks be to God!). BI have been experiencing some discomfort on one nipple and figured she bit me in the night, but now I see that I have a white "blister" on the tip. So...1) is this mastitis? 2) do I just continue with heat and massage when able? 3) is this common for moms of toddlers?
    Thanks for the input.

Default Re: Mastitis at 15m?

Hi,

I had the same thing with my first son ( a few times) when he was teething he would change his latch and I would get a milk blister. My local leader and I figured it out and I adjusted the latch. I am at the same point with my second and have really kept an eye on the latch and I have not have any occurences with this one despite the molars coming in for some time (knock on wood)

Default Re: Mastitis at 15m?

DS is 13 months, and there have been a couple of times that he's been teething and I have gotten milk blisters due to poor latch, which have then resulted in a tender clogged duct.

I know this isn't the best thing, but rather than have the clog linger, what has worked well for me is to pick at a corner with a clean fingernail and then nurse/pump out the clog. I get near-instant relief, rather than having the whole thing hurt for 24/48 hours. I do also have some leftover Newman's Nipple Ointment from when DS was a newborn that I put over the opened blister, too.