Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hasn't pooped for 3 days

Default hasn't pooped for 3 days

My LO has been pooping once a day usually at night, but she hasn't gone for 3 days. I haven't been eating very well for the past week, Christmas completely threw me off my diet. I'm wondering if this could be the reason?

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Default Re: hasn't pooped for 3 days

How old??? it pretty typical for their poops to go on and off, and even sometimes go days (or over a week - depending on the age) without and it not be a problem.

Your dietary intake shouldn't be the reason... is she on any solids?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

she's two months, so no solids, just breastmilk.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

ah - sounds 'typical - if she goes another few days then you could call the doc (not that you can't call the doc now ) but 2 mo old and EBF, it's relatively typical for their pooping patterns to change time and again. When the poop does come (and it will )- as long as it's not balled up, she's fine It's very uncommon for EBF babies to be constipated.

Here's a few blurbs from the link below:

If the baby seems happy and is acting normally energetic, is gaining weight well, and the stools are soft when they are passed, then it is not a problem. Usually the stool will be very large if it has been a few days (or even more) since baby last made a dirty diaper.
    Constipation occurs when the stool is hard and dry when it is passed, not when baby has infrequent stools.
    Here's a little reading for ya
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We got a poop! A nice healthy one. Thanks.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Quote Originally Posted by vavaval7 View Post
    We got a poop! A nice healthy one. Thanks.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I posted this exact thing right around 3.5 months. From what I learned here and at the dr's, it is normal. The dr said that bf babies can go up to a week and still be considered normal. With my lo, the stinkier his toots, the closer we were coming to a bm. GL to you!

Erin