Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation

Default constipation

I know that all the books say that breastfed babies don't get constipated, but I feel like my 6 mo LO might be. He hasn't pooped in four days now. For the last month or so, he's been pooping usually only once a day. His dirty diaper is usually in the morning. But he hasn't had his middle of the night poop for the last four days and yesterday I noticed that his gas was stinky, which is odd for him. He has rice cereal almost every day, but hasn't had it for 3 days due to lots of holiday traveling, visiting, etc. THe books say they can go awhile without a poop, but this is just so different for him. Can he be constipated?

On a related subject, he has had A LOT of nighttime gas lately and will wake himself up with it and seem very uncomfortable. I can't figure out if it's something I'm eating specifically. I will cut something out but he'll still have gas then, so then I don't know. We use a mylicon type of medicine but it doesn't always seem to do much. I usually just end up nursing him because then he'll relax enough to let some out. But I also think that nursing him more might make it worse. Any advice?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: constipation

my DS suddenly went from pooing daily to only going once or twice a week. it wasn't a gradual change, but sudden, like you discribed.

constipation has nothing to do with frequency and everything to do with consistency. If when he does go it's hard and dry - that would be constipation. I'd guess his poop pattern is just changing. Rice cereal can be binding, though but since he hasn't had it for a few days I don't think that is the issue at all.

For the gas, try massage and bicycling his legs. Hyland's colic tablets work wonders too, and can be found at many stores. Walmart has them with the bottles, cups, and such

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

with Jack's Mum and Jazzy's Mommy - DS went from pooing several times a day to pooing once a week or less very suddenly. But the consistency always stayed the same, sort of like peanut butter (sorry TMI). The problem is when they find it really hard to pass and it comes out like hard little pellets, then it's constipation (I have a 3 yo with chronic constipation issues for which he is now medicated). Hope your little guy poos soon, us mamas get worried!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

My MIL just taught me something new last night when my little one hadn't gone in more than four days (4mo)...she gently massaged the area around his anus (after putting a towel under him) until he started to push and them she held his legs (Gently!) against his stomach until he had pooped everything all out....she's a nurse and spent her first five years in the maternity ward.....my little guy was so much more comfortable after that!

with PPs. I would scale back on the cereal for a while and see if you notice a difference.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.