Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough nutrition?

Default Enough nutrition?

Hi everyone,

I have a question and I hope someone will have an answer for it.
    My daughter is 17 mos, I nurse her about 4-5 times in 24hrs about average 8 mins per feeding. I try to give her 3 meals daily but she doesn't eat much for breakfast and if she doesn't like what I serve for lunch or dinner, she would eat very little maybe a few mouthfuls. I feel like I don't have much milk for her. So, the question is whether I should give her more cow's milk or should I be worried about her not eating enough? Her weight hasn't changed for 4 mos, should I be concerned? Thanks a lot for reading my post!

Default Re: Enough nutrition?

Toddlers go through a completely normal phase of eating hardly anything -- the books actually call it "physiologic anorexia," which means NORMAL lack of eating. It sounds like she is nursing well, and as long as she has good diaper output and grows over time, then you can be assured she is getting enough to eat.

You mentioned that her weight hasn't changed. Is she any taller? Babies in their 2nd or 3rd year often slim down by shooting up without gaining weight.

--Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, thanks a lot for your reply.My daughter did get taller but her output is not that much. She has 3 ok wet diapers daily and except for mb, I also give her some juice which she likes. If I only give her mb, her diaper situation really makes me worry!

If you're worried about getting more fluids into her, I personally would opt for water or some kind of milk rather than juice. We gave my son cow's milk after his first birthday; some families prefer to avoid dairy and instead give rice milk.

--Rebecca

ANother thing to remember is if you are using disposeable diapers, sometimes it's really really hard to detemine what the "wet" output really is! WHen my baby was in the hospital, I was very concerned that he was suffering from dehydration becaue he was sleeping for 5 & 6 hr stretches and neither me nor the nurses could tell if he was ever wet. They finally resorted to cutting the diapers open to check becaue I was so distressed. When we came home and started using cloth, my stress about wet output immediately went away! You can always tell immediately. But I'm aware as we use disposeables when we go out that that he definately has to go to the bathroom more than a few times for us to even be aware. So if you are using disposeables and your getting three "OK" wet diapers a day, she is probably urinating at LEAST 6x a day if not 9! So try not to worry to much!

Hmmm, 3 wet diapers a day doesn't sound like a whole lot to me. Though, if she does take some from a cup it seems that she would drink more if she were thirsty. You say you don't feel like you have much milk for her--does she act like she wants more? You could try boosting your supply with fenugreek or blessed thistle, or just try offering to nurse more often?

I personally would replace the juice with water. If she won't take straight water, you can mix the two and gradually increase the water until there is no juice left. Juice provieds empty calories and can make a tolder feel full, so that could be part of why she doens't eat much in the way of solids.

However, as others have said, it is also very normal for a toddler to eat very little. It sounds like she's nursing enough that she shouldn't need any other source of calcium, fat, or protein. You could try Breast Compressions to help her get more milk when she nurses: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html They will also help stimulate your milk supply.

My 17 month-old dd isn't fond of solids and her pediatrician recommended that I not give her any juice due to the empty calories. I give my dd water and soy milk. She refuses cow's milk. I think rice milk would be good too.

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your replies! If I only give her water beside bm, she doesn't have so many wet diapers. If I'm worried about her diaper situation, I give her juice which she drinks more. Therefore, you can see my dilama. Also, since my last post, she has reduced the nursing time down to 3-4 mins each session!! I think the wonderful nursing-bonding time is about to end soon. As much as I hate to stop, I can't make her stay on my breasts longer. Any advice?

Have you tried breast compressions? I personally wouldn't worry too much because at her age 3-4 min should be plenty of time to mostly drain the breast. Breast compressions will just help with that, especially with getting her a bit more fatty hindmilk. Have you also tried nursing in a quiet, dark room? Have you tried using a nursing necklace?

Also, mixing water a juice together as I posted above?
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; June 28th, 2006 at 10:34 AM.