Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constantly nursing

Default constantly nursing

My DS is 4 months old. He was sleeping through the night up until about a week ago. He also used to be very easy going and consolable. Lately however, all he wants to do is nurse, even when he's just finished. He won't take a pacifier. He nurses til he falls asleep, then usually wakes when I put him down and screams until I nurse him again. He's also sucking on his hands a lot and drooling (teething?). I hesitate to nurse him so often because he has GERD and it's not good on his tummy. Last night he woke up 4 times. Has this happened to anyone? Got any suggestions?

Default Re: constantly nursing

My dd did this.. only she would nurse constantly during the day and then wake-up once to nurse at night. I didn't mind nursing her during the day but at night I when she would wake-up I would just send Dh in her room..... and she would take her paci.. but not if I was around!! She would want the real thing! - Anyways I think it was related to teething- although mlo has been teething for months and still has no teeth!!! I dunno- I don;t really have a solution except maybe if your don't want nurse your lo at night send your DH in to take care of the baby.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: constantly nursing

What time is your lo going to bed? In my house, only waking 4 times is a common night and anything less than 3 times is excellent. My lo has never woken any less, and my toddler wakes that frequently still. It might have to do with teeth, or it might be a growth spurt. 4 months is a really common time for teething to start and long stretches of sleep at night to end. Do you cosleep? it is really helpful with a frequent nightwaker/teether/hungry baby.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes