Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Asked and Answered

Default Asked and Answered

I am sure that this has been asked and answer so please excuse but to find the answer that would require me to look around the forum and right now I am too lazy to do that. So, if someone could please humor me--when is it best to pump before nursing or after nursing whether in the evening or morning? Thanks!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Default Re: Asked and Answered

Depends on what you're trying to do. pumping after nursing will increase your supply so if you want to do that to have extra bottles for whatever reason then that's good. Pumping before will probably do the same thing but is usually done to relieve engorgement.

I find that I had the most milk in the mornings or just before bed so it's up to you when you feel full.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    I am sure that this has been asked and answer so please excuse but to find the answer that would require me to look around the forum and right now I am too lazy to do that. So, if someone could please humor me--when is it best to pump before nursing or after nursing whether in the evening or morning? Thanks!
    The lactation consultant I use said that prolcatin levels are highest between 11pm to 12am and 2am to 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    Depends on what you're trying to do. pumping after nursing will increase your supply so if you want to do that to have extra bottles for whatever reason then that's good. Pumping before will probably do the same thing but is usually done to relieve engorgement.

I find that I had the most milk in the mornings or just before bed so it's up to you when you feel full.
    I am trying to increase for DCP and I don't have a time I actually feel full anymore--but I do know that my LO is suffieciently nourished. I guess my body has adjusted. I did try to pump after he nursed tonight from the breast he nursed on and got nadda so I pumped from the other and I got about 1 and 1/2oz, which I started not to freeze but then I thought I worked hard for this and froze it anyway.
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear

Quote Originally Posted by Ebranden View Post
    The lactation consultant I use said that prolcatin levels are highest between 11pm to 12am and 2am to 3am.
    So, what does that mean--you produce more milk at that time? And Heck--who wants to pump between 2-3am?.

I worry all the time if i will have enough for the next day. i pump at work 3 times a day and some times i get 5oz other times 2, it varies on the day and Breast!!!
    I neve feel full anymore, only for about the first 2 months, and also i never felt a let down, the only way i know i am havign a let down is because i hear her suckign!

But any way, i pump after every feeding at home and some times i only get 1oz other times i get more. I know it sounds crazy fedding at 12, 4 and 7 and then i pump with compressions for about 5 minutes or so, i want to be sure that I drain the breast a good as possible.

Good Luck!!!!

So, what does that mean--you produce more milk at that time? And Heck--who wants to pump between 2-3am?.
    I believe that this means you will produce more if you pump regularly during this time. I actually do get up every morning at 2:30am to pump. Just call me looney...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebranden View Post
    I believe that this means you will produce more if you pump regularly during this time. I actually do get up every morning at 2:30am to pump. Just call me looney...
    I might consider getting up if I also didn't have to drive my LO to the DCP and then to work--as it is I have a hard enough time keeping my eyes open, I just pray the whole time that I get to my destination safely. And if you work and still get up to pump--GOD bless you!!! Seriously

I might consider getting up if I also didn't have to drive my LO to the DCP and then to work--as it is I have a hard enough time keeping my eyes open, I just pray the whole time that I get to my destination safely. And if you work and still get up to pump--GOD bless you!!! Seriously
    I do currently work. I wake up at 4:30 to get ready for work afterwards. However, friday is my last day. My husband and I discovered the $300 a week it cost for me to go to work it was not worth it for me to work.