Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFing babies immune to chickenpox?

Default BFing babies immune to chickenpox?

We've got chickenpox going round our area at the moment. There have been kids at playgroupos and stuff who have later turned out to have it, and our friends' little girl across the road came down with spots the day after Boxing Day.

I'm pretty sure that DS1, who is 3, is going to be getting spots anyday now (he did hug and kiss our friends little girl on Christmas Day - cute at the time).

But my question is whether breastfeeding babies have any of Mums' immunity to chickenpox? I had it as a child, so it would figure I have some good immunity to it. Does this pass to baby? Has DS2 gat a chance of escaping this time?

Any advice? Thanks mamas!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Default Re: BFing babies immune to chickenpox?

I believe if LO hasn't been vaxed against it, it may be in your and his favor to get it. When I was younger all the parents intentionally exposed kids to it when they could.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Babies don't get chicken pox immunity from mom... as far as I know...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I'm not sure about during breastfeeding. I was exposed during pregnancy and my doctor said my baby was protected because I had had it. I think after birth the baby would be susceptible, but it would be worth checking.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083400.asp

dr sears has some good info on it
    how old is your younger child?
    My DD got it at about one and she wasn't too missarable with it..
    nursing will help them not to get as sick!

From what I understand, a breastfeeding baby/child will get a limited immunity. Antibodies are passed from the mother's breastmilk to the baby/child, so the antibodies would act as a protector for a time. However, from what I understand, this does not always mean that the baby will forever be immune. He/she would have to have their own bodies respond to the virus. Some nursing children will have some symptoms, but on a much lesser scale. Some will show no symptoms at all and still get full immunity. It's different for each child.

If you want to know if your child has immunity...you can always take them to the doctor and have the titers checked.

Our dd was born mid october, 5 days after her birth my 4 year old dd broke out in the chickenpox. I was panicked.
    My doctor told me not to have to much concern that baby probably wouldn't get it as she was still so new (still has moms antibodies in her) and breastfeeding ( helps keep up the protection ), but in the off chance she did get them they wouldn't be a full blown case, maybe a few spots, but nothing to concern yourself about. She just told me to nurse her more frequently if she did get any.
    She never got them though.
    Chicken pox are more of a nusence (sp?) than anything. Although you should watch for fever. The doctor told me it is when the kids start scratching them that can pose a problem, risk of certain infections, which young babies can't really scratch themselves intentionally.

I can give more info tomorrow maybe. My 10 month old LO broke out this morning - not sure if it's chicken pox or reaction to something like her antibiotic. If it is chicken pox, then no, BF does not provide total immunity. I had chicken pox as a youngster and my lo has not had any formula - only BM. So, I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll also update later to see how well the vaccine worked for my 2.5 year old.

Amy

Thanks ladies for all your replies, I knew I could count on you!!
    DS1, Archie, is 3. He has been overly grumpy for a couple of days and we are just worried that any day now he may break out in the spots!!

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    I can give more info tomorrow maybe. My 10 month old LO broke out this morning - not sure if it's chicken pox or reaction to something like her antibiotic. If it is chicken pox, then no, BF does not provide total immunity. I had chicken pox as a youngster and my lo has not had any formula - only BM. So, I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll also update later to see how well the vaccine worked for my 2.5 year old.
    That is really weird timing! Will be glad to know how things turn out, hope your little DD is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    I believe if LO hasn't been vaxed against it, it may be in your and his favor to get it. When I was younger all the parents intentionally exposed kids to it when they could.

In the UK, kids don't get offered any vaccine to chickenpox, so the thing here is still to expose the kids to it while they're young really. I could really do with Archie getting it now, he has a nursery place starting next week (afternoons). So getting it now would mean just a delayed start, rather than him getting settled in and then being brought out because of the chickenpox, IYKWIM? I am thinking of taking him to our friends' house again to try and make sure he does catch it! Poor kid!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083400.asp

dr sears has some good info on it
    how old is your younger child?
    My DD got it at about one and she wasn't too missarable with it..
    nursing will help them not to get as sick!
    Andrea, the Dr Sears article was really good. DS2, Jack, is almost 8 months old. He is just cutting his first 2 teeth, at the same time, and yesterday and this morning is super tetchy. Hopefully it's the teething bothering him and not chickenpox starting, but like you say, I guess this wouldn't be a bad time for him to catch it (although it is New Years Eve!)

Thanks again ladies, Amy let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    You can get the shot privately, but not sure if I would get it.

The only problem at a young age is they don't understand not to scratch and are miserable while sick, a bit older and they sort of understand, KWIM? it's late forgive me
    Thanks, yeah I looked online and I really don't want to go down privately vaxing line. I think maybe it's best if they get it now. At least I can put mitts on DS2 or whatever. Although I dread them both being sick together!!

Is it late where you are then? Its just gone 9.30 am here, so a long day ahead with 2 miserable kids!!