Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipple/Bad start

Default Sore nipple/Bad start

I could use a little advice here. Baby Jaycob was born on Dec 26, and we had a little trouble latching on, which has resulted in a very sore left nipple. I have been using Purelan on it, but was wondering if I should cont. to nurse on that nipple at all until it's healed? Jake seems to be latching on much better now and the right nipple is fine.
    Thanks for any advice.

Also if anyone can tell me how to post a pic??

Default Re: Sore nipple/Bad start

Quote Originally Posted by ~B~ View Post
    I could use a little advice here. Baby Jaycob was born on Dec 26, and we had a little trouble latching on, which has resulted in a very sore left nipple. I have been using Purelan on it, but was wondering if I should cont. to nurse on that nipple at all until it's healed? Jake seems to be latching on much better now and the right nipple is fine.
    Thanks for any advice.

Also if anyone can tell me how to post a pic??
    If at all possible continue to nurse on that side as well otherwise you could end up engorged and possibly get mastitis if not emptied well (I've been down that road because latching issues). You could start nursing on the side that is fine first so that when you switch your lo isn't so ravenous and ready to attack. You can also nurse completely on one side and then the next feeding start with the other side but only if it hurts too much and I wouldn't do that too long as you could end up lopsided.

I know some other moms will have more advice for you but for now, HTH--Keep us posted!

As far as the picture if you post on the administrative forum they will answer that questions for you.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Thanks!

Yes, it's perfectly fine to nurse on that side If he's latching properly, the nipple will continue to heal like it should. As the PP said, it needs to be drained somehow, preferably with nursing, or pumping to avoid clogs and infection.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

i had lots of problems with sore, cracked, bleeding nipples. it was really a nice break for me to pump the really sore one and feed my lo from the other.

How are things now?

much better thank you. the nipple has healed and baby is nursing well. thank you all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ~B~ View Post
    much better thank you. the nipple has healed and baby is nursing well. thank you all for the advice.
    I'm glad things are going better for you--You have such a cute little pumpkin
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.