Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins?

Default Vitamins?

At our one-month checkup, the pediatrician suggested we give Myles vitamin drops. Fine. Great. No problem. Except the drops are smelly and gross and he just spits them out (which is lovely since they are oily and make a real mess on clothing and burp cloths). I've tried putting the vitamin drops in expressed breastmilk in order to "make them more palatable" (per the instructions on the bottle)...but he's onto my tricks already and won't have anything to do with it. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Vitamins?

I asked my pediatrician about vitamin drops, since I had read that I should give them. She said not to worry about them because a) breastmilk has everything the baby needs, b) babies hate the drops, c) they're expensive. She said it's not worth the trouble - just keep breastfeeding and being healthy - and get the baby in the sun for a few minutes a day to help with Vitamin D.

Quote Originally Posted by stacie78 View Post
    I asked my pediatrician about vitamin drops, since I had read that I should give them. She said not to worry about them because a) breastmilk has everything the baby needs, b) babies hate the drops, c) they're expensive. She said it's not worth the trouble - just keep breastfeeding and being healthy - and get the baby in the sun for a few minutes a day to help with Vitamin D.
    This is what I heard as well. Wyatt is 10 months, and is doing great without them. I still take my prenatal vitamisn though.

I only give my dd a vit d suppliment as there isn;t much sun this time of year where I live. Giving vits to breastfeeding infants is controversial anyways. If your lo doesn't like it I wouldn't worry about it... except maybe the vit d. My dd vit d is clear and tasteless.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My pedi just suggested this also, and I think my LO doesn't need them, he gets BM and solids. However, what about iron? Is there iron in BM?

I am not sure I love my Pediatrician, might be time for a change.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKat View Post
    My pedi just suggested this also, and I think my LO doesn't need them, he gets BM and solids. However, what about iron? Is there iron in BM?

I am not sure I love my Pediatrician, might be time for a change.
    Breastmilk is the perfect food. There is just enough iron for your baby in it.

Breast milk is the perfect food for your baby... if you are worried about supplementing YOU take vitamins! I am still taking my prescription strength pre-natals and my baby is a tank! If your baby is healthy, happy, and thriving... don't sweat it!

Tiffany
    Mommie to
    Brian Christian 4/12/06
    Bryce Alexander 11/8/07

back to work on Jan 7th and FIRED on the 31st!

'ing fool!
    http://www.virginiahypnobirthing.com
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...bymonster1.gif

we don't do vitamins for baby. I do take them still, though.
    The levels of some vitamins will rise in your BM while others won't. Here's a link for you. here's another called "does my baby needs vitamins". And here's another that will discuss DRV & a little more about the levels that are available in BM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.