Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new and confused????

Thumbs down new and confused????

Hello...I am a 1st time mom...my daughter is almost 7 weeks old now.I will go back to work as a teacher when she is almost 12 weeks...I have been using my pump in stly to gather a supply now...but have a few questions I REALLY need answered..

1) can I pump straight into the same bag or ALL day and then freeze..I have been putting it in the fridge til the next feeding..after she is done I am pumping out extra straight into the bag and at the end of the day freezing....I am hearing conflicting ideas.
    2) what steps do I need to take to clean my pump after each use...When I boil my parts they get a white film on them...which leads to question 3
    3) Is this film from boiling safe? or should I use the dishwasher???
    4) Is there a Medela glass bottle, or are the soft plastic ones safe..I am hearing that hard plastic or glass is better, but cannot find any to fit my pump....
    I know this is a lot, I just am sooo consumed with her having breast milk and don’t want to mess up..

thanks abrenna

Default Re: new and confused????

Here is a great Link to Kellymom. You will find all sorts of answers on pumping and storing your milk. The key is to only mix milk that is at the same temp. What I do is pump all day into the same container & keep it at room temp. Then I place in the frig when I get home from work. You will see on Kellymom how long milk can stay at room temp.

As far as cleaning the pump, I have the Medela PISA, and I soak all of the parts in hot water, scrub them down, then use a sterilizer. I have heard good things about the microwave bags Medela makes to sterilize but have never used them myself.

As far as safety with the bottles, I will try to find the link for you with all the info. As far as I know, the Medela bottles are safe. But I use the Born Free glass bottles. But know that if you plan to put your lo into daycare, most daycares will not allow glass bottles.

HTH!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Default Re: new and confused????

Here is a link to a thread on here.

Here is a Safety Chart

Good Luck!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06