Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so new and Questions

Thumbs down so new and Questions

Hello...I am a 1st time mom...my daughter is almost 7 weeks old now.I will go back to work as a teacher when she is almost 12 weeks...I have been using my pump in stly to gather a supply now...but have a few questions I REALLY need answered..

1) can I pump straight into the same bag or ALL day and then freeze..I have been putting it in the fridge til the next feeding..after she is done I am pumping out extra straight into the bag and at the end of the day freezing....I am hearing conflicting ideas.
    2) what steps do I need to take to clean my pump after each use...When I boil my parts they get a white film on them...which leads to question 3
    3) Is this film from boiling safe? or should I use the dishwasher???
    4) Is there a Medela glass bottle, or are the soft plastic ones safe..I am hearing that hard plastic or glass is better, but cannot find any to fit my pump....
    I know this is a lot, I just am sooo consumed with her having breast milk and don’t want to mess up..

thanks abrenna

Default Re: so new and Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mommyloveschloe View Post
    Hello...I am a 1st time mom...my daughter is almost 7 weeks old now.I will go back to work as a teacher when she is almost 12 weeks...I have been using my pump in stly to gather a supply now...but have a few questions I REALLY need answered..

1) can I pump straight into the same bag or ALL day and then freeze..I have been putting it in the fridge til the next feeding..after she is done I am pumping out extra straight into the bag and at the end of the day freezing....I am hearing conflicting ideas.

I have read that you need to chill breast milk before adding it to more BM that is already cold. I would use a new bag/bottle to pump into at each sitting.

2) what steps do I need to take to clean my pump after each use...When I boil my parts they get a white film on them...which leads to question 3

When I use my pump I wash everything that comes in contact with me and the BM with hot soapy water. Every other time I will use Medula's Sanitizing Bags that you pop into the microwave.

3) Is this film from boiling safe? or should I use the dishwasher???

I'm guessing the film on your equipment is minerals left over from hard water. I always rinse mine off before using b.c. I wasn't sure if it was harmful or not. I have put my parts into the dishwasher but they end up turning orange looking due to sauce and such that comes off other dishes.

4) Is there a Medela glass bottle, or are the soft plastic ones safe..I am hearing that hard plastic or glass is better, but cannot find any to fit my pump....

I haven't seen any other bottles that will fit but that doesn't mean they're out there.
    I know this is a lot, I just am sooo consumed with her having breast milk and don’t want to mess up..

thanks abrenna
    Hope that helps
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: so new and Questions

The pp answered a lot of your questions, but I will just add that I don't rinse my pump parts out during the day because bm can stay at room temp for 10 hours w/o going bad & the water where I work is horrible (no one drinks it, so I don't think I should rinse my pump with it....). I wash my pump parts in HOT soapy water. It takes a little more time, but who knows what gets in them in the dishwasher (yes, I am a bit paranoid....)
    The Medela bottles are actually very good because they do not contain bisphenol-A, which is though to mimic hormones (although this is not non-controversial) and is often found in hard plastic bottles. I store my milk in mommy's milk bags (Lansinoh, also BPA-free) and I agree with pp that the milk should be the same temperature before you combine (either room temp or cold).
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09