Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BARKING COUGH and STUFFED UP....

Question BARKING COUGH and STUFFED UP....

I am in a tizzy, ladies.
    Little Caiden looks like he has his first cold.....
    I am using a cool mist humidifier and infant saline nasal spray with an occasional sucking from a nasal aspirator....he is sneezing and coughing like a barking seal.....

He is not running a fever and generally seems ok..a bit fussy and understandably frustrated with nursing and with breathing in general.

The cough seems to be getting more frequent, and I would imagine from breathing through the mouth makes this much worse...

Anyone have any advice or ideas of when I should call the Dr.? (I call the Dr on a regular basis since I can be a bit of a worry-wart )....
    I wonder when something like this warrants a trip the ER?

Hugs, Becca

Default Re: BARKING COUGH and STUFFED UP....

It sounds like croup. I'd call the doctor now....

Way too lazy for formula

Really? We have the same thing with Norah....and I'm wondering if it's time for a trip to the ER. I called the doc Friday and they said if she gets fever or starts wheezing to take her in...the chest congestion is really bad. No fever or wheezing yet, but she is really hoarse and blocked up. What is croup?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Found this on croup, http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/croup.html. We have no fever yet. I'm also paranoid about RSV, http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/croup.html.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Found this on croup, http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/croup.html. We have no fever yet. I'm also paranoid about RSV, http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/croup.html.
    The barking like a seal is a sure giveaway on the croup. She mentioned that in her symptoms that's why I mentioned it....

Way too lazy for formula

While you may want to go to the doctor, don't get suckered into giving antibiotics right away. There is nothing they can do for croup if it's viral (and it usually is). It just has to pass on its own. However, if you notice that baby is having trouble breathing (croup causes the airways to collapse...and for really young children, that's dangerous...but that is what causes that barking sound), then to the ER ASAP for steroid shots, etc that help keep the airways open.

My son had croup at 10 months and I took him into the bathroom and sat with him while he played and the shower was on the hottest setting (put a towel at the door to help keep the steam in). Make sure your child gets plenty of fluids and run a humidifier at night. You can also bundle baby up in the evening and take him/her outside for bit. Another sign of croup is having the cough clear up once they get outside.

Other than that, symptoms usually pass within 3-5 days. If the symptoms last longer, definitely go visit the doctor again.

NolaMomma...Adrian did not get a fever when he got croup. He was just congested and had that barking cough. I wouldn't get too alarmed, just yet. It usually sounds much worse than it is.

However, if your child does have croup and you notice the following symptoms (taken from the above link) or the symptoms last longer than 1 week (usually no more than 5 days) then a visit to a health professional is recommended immediately:

* difficulty breathing, including rapid breathing, belly sinking in while breathing, or
    the skin between the ribs pulling in with each breath
    * stridor
    * pale or bluish color around the mouth
    * drooling or difficulty swallowing
    * greater inactivity than usual when ill
    * high fever
    * very sick appearance

Hope everyone feels better soon!

My son is 4 months old and so far, he's had croup twice. We took him to the ER the first time because his coughing (the barky cough) was TERRIBLE! They told us the same things as above. Things that really helped and were recommended by the doctors were to bundle him up and take him outside in the cold air. It helps to open their airways back up. They also have us giving him nebulizer treatments every 4-6 hours which really helps his breathing. Something else we did that my MIL always did with her kids was to make a "croup tent". To do this, we set up a card table and drape a sheet over it to the floor, ALWAYS leaving one side open to allow air in. Set a cool mist humidifier inside and keep baby in for maybe 30 minutes every 3-4 hours or so. I just do it when I notice that he's coughing a lot more, or seems to be wheezing more during the day. It's basically the same concept as keeping them in the bathroom with the shower turned on, except it's cool mist instead of warm mist. I don't know that it really makes any difference whether the mist is cool or warm, but it really seems to help. The first couple of nights are rough, but after that, my son has just been coughing off and on throughout the day. They did tell us to keep him out of day care for a few days because croup is contagious...

More than anything, try not to panic when they start coughing. Yes, it is scary, but Mom being upset isn't going to calm them down and help get it under control. And it never hurts to call the doctor or your local health line....they can usually help you determine if you need to go to the ER or wait to call the doctor in the morning.

HTH! GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by JenniferL; December 31st, 2007 at 01:44 AM.

Hi, My daughter had the same problems around 5 & 9 months. Really bad cough & stuffed up etc... We took her to the Ped & she said it was viral & it had to take its course etc.. But if it got really bad like fever to go to the ER. She gave us a sample of Donatussin Drops & they helped alot! It cleared her up & the cough etc.. got much better. Maybe you can ask your Ped if she can take anything to ease the symptoms. A cool mist humidifier helped too. Hope it gets better.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

We just got over this. The first cold was miserable. Dr. gave us some cough med that we only used for 3 days to help her esp at night and it cleared up quickly. The Johnson's vapor bath did a great job of easing her breathing and soothing her. I used it in the am and for her nighttime wipe off esp on face and chest. I would highly recommend it. Hope your lo is better soon.

Lots of great advice, ladies. Thank you so much.
    I called the Dr and she said that it does sound like croup and if he looks like he is having difficulty taking a breath or if at all or if his fever gets above 100.8 then it's time to call her back and very poosibly head to the ER...

He was up ALL night last night. I felt so bad for him, since his little eyes were watering so much from all of the mucus stuck inside his head He was running a very 'low grade' fever last night, but it broke. Thank Goodness.

Saline drops/sucking helped and we also tried the steam shower and of course, the humidifier.
    I think now it may be a bad cold with a touch of a croupy cough (is that possible?)....

This little baby is so sweet. He is still so active and giggly despite feeling like garbage. Still trying to laugh through the coughs and incredibly runny nose.... So sweet.

So many hugs, Becca