Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "beyond one" pumping question

Default "beyond one" pumping question

My DD will be a year old on 1/23. I'm on Christmas vacation until 1/2/08. So, since I'm with DD 24/7 right now, I'm not pumping, except for my morning nurse and pump session.

When I work, I pump twice and nurse at lunch. I really want to start weaning myself from the pump at work. Can I start this week, or would it really be better to wait a couple weeks when she's a year? Does it matter?

I still want her to have breastmilk when I'm away. I'm not in a big hurry to introduce cow's milk. I have a lot a frozen breastmilk. I want to start using before it goes bad.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: "beyond one" pumping question

My dd is about a week younger than yours. yesterday was my last day of pumping. I'm going to use my freezer stash up until its gone and then only nurse when we are together.
    Part of my motivation is that she is nursing so little during the day while we are together that my day time supply seems to be going down and I can barely get enough for a bottle anymore.
    I can't wait to leave for work without the pump!

Did you wean yourself from it? My DD still nurses quite often, when I'm with her, like weekends and vacations. It's 11:45am here, and she has already nursed 4x's since 5am, plus ate some egg, banana, and cheerios for breakfast.

I know I'm going to need to start using my frozen before it goes bad, but I don't want that to be the last of EBM she drinks when it's gone. I want to quit pumping, but I don't want to lose my supply for nursing.

I think I worry way to much!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

I'm the same way as you, and that's why I still pump occasionally at 18 months. Plus I donate BM, so it was another reason to keep going. But DD only drinks 1/2 of what I pump, and has for a long time. But I also wanted to keep my supply up, etc etc... I started skipping sessions here and there a few months ago and miss them more often than I do them now. I also nurse at lunch. But I just got a plugged duct and mastitis scare the week before Xmas, so I'm wondering if I need to keep pumping to avoid running into that problem again... No answers, just letting you know I'm in the same boat.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I'm so confused. I don't know what to do. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's not pumping I hate, it's everyone at work knowing that I'm still disappearing for 15-20 min when I know they could really use me. They have been so supportive and know what I'm doing at 10am and 3pm, but I sort of feel like they'll think enough is enough.

I guess I don't have a problem nursing well into DD 2nd year, I just don't think it's anyone's business and continuing pumping makes it their business, in a way.

I know, I'm rambling....
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

I'm so confused. I don't know what to do. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's not pumping I hate, it's everyone at work knowing that I'm still disappearing for 15-20 min when I know they could really use me. They have been so supportive and know what I'm doing at 10am and 3pm, but I sort of feel like they'll think enough is enough.

I guess I don't have a problem nursing well into DD 2nd year, I just don't think it's anyone's business and continuing pumping makes it their business, in a way.
    You're right, is isn't any of their business. If you went off to smoke at 10 and 3 everyday they wouldn't say a word would they? Do what you feel is right for you and your little one, if that means keeping on pumping milk . . . then go for it. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed, or heaven for bid don't think that it's their business because you continue to pump at work. It's not and never has been.

I pump for an 18 month old and I have no plans to stop, or consider stopping as this time. I would like to allow him to wean as naturally as possible. As long as he's nursing for his nap, I'll still pump. A lot of moms pump wean and continue to nurse when with their LO. I have had so much trouble with plugged ducts and oversupply that I prefer to keep pumping to keep myself in rhythm with my LO. I went down to once a day at 12 months and that was a welcome change, I'll say that for sure! I don't love the pump, but it's not that big of a deal. Once a day is easy compared to the 3 in the beginning, and then down to 2 for a few months. I'm convinced I'll be pumping when he's 2!!!
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; January 1st, 2008 at 10:39 PM.

[QUOTE=dinkey98;394521]Did you wean yourself from it? My DD still nurses quite often, when I'm with her, like weekends and vacations. It's 11:45am here, and she has already nursed 4x's since 5am, plus ate some egg, banana, and cheerios for breakfast.

I did sort of wean myself from it. I just started making so much less milk during the day that it seemed to be happening whether I wanted it to or not.

I still plan on nursing when we are together. I work with a LLL leader who says that my supply should adjust fine because it is already well established.

I'm not sure which pumping sessions to drop first. Where do I start?

6:45 am pump & nurse (I get the most, so I'll keep this session)
    10am pump
    lunch nurse (I always nurse at lunch, but I don't think she always needs it. This would be the first nursing session I'd drop)
    3pm pump
    evening nurse
    bedtime nurse

Could I rearrange this schedule? I'm worried about going too long without nursing or expressing. I think I've been in such a habit of watching the clock, that I'm afraid my supply will suffer if I stop!

TIA so much!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

I think you need to start with what your goal is, do you want to pump wean all together or drop a few to lesson the burden? When do you want to accomplish that, next month, or two months?

Well, if she is drinking bottles from all those pumping sessions, I'm not sure. I personally would drop the am one, because I'm not a morning person, and it would cut down on getting ready time in the morning. My dd loves to eat table food so much that she started cutting down on her bottles on her own.

There is a link on kellymom about weaning from the pump. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...from-pump.html

It is really hard to stop worrying about how much milk you make. I'm trying to be confident and not obsess, like I have been since I started pumping...