Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! She won't take a bottle!

Default Help! She won't take a bottle!

Okay, so I have a very healthy 15lb 4 month old little girl. She is EBFing and I work. She has been taking bottles since she was 2 weeks old. After spending extended time with me over the holidays and exclusively nursing from the breast, she has decided now that she doesn't want the bottle. We have gone through this off and on with her but never this bad. One night she went to bed without having eaten since 3pm that day because I was gone at dinner time for a meeting. We have tried giving her a bottle every day at least once and all she does is scream and since I am here, I give in. Well, we decided that she has to be able to take either/or so this am we weren't going to give in. We tried everything to get her to take it;I stayed out of the room, I tried giving her the bottle, I started with the breast and than tried to sneak in the bottle.... She nursed at 4am and went until noon before I thought 8 hours was too long and gave in and gave her the breast. I don't know what to do! I am leaving for out of town for 4 days next week and she won't have a choice. Everyone says that when she is hungry enough she will eat, but how long it too long? Like I said, she went 8 hours today! In addition we tried with each subsequent feeding to give the bottle and she continued to refuse. DH wants to try tough love tomorrow....no giving in at all....I am scared but don't think we have a choice.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Help! She won't take a bottle!

My LO did the same thing starting at five months. I'm so sorry you're going thru this. I don't have much in the way of advice but do you think she'd try drinking from a little cup? Or a spoon???
    good luck. I know how scary this is - have you asked your ped?

I'm so sorry that you are facing this with your LO. It muct be so hard I wish that I had some advice, just

We have been through the same thing except by son was going on frequent nursing strikes and refusing the breast too. The only way we could feed him was EBM with a spoon. He was pretty stubborn and he once went 9 hours without eating anything (then took the breast not the bottle) so I don't how tough love will work.

mine did this too at around 6 months - it was why I joined this forum, in fact. It was so distressing - so, I know how upset and worried you are. My lo ended up taking the bottle again after a week, but she was at dc where I was not around. I stopped going at lunchtime, too, to nurse. I felt like we were breaking a horse and it was horrible. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I think when you are not around, your lo will take the bottle again soon.

i know how you feel my lo went from taking nothing but the bottle and i was pumping for her to suddenly refusing bottle and only taking breast at 2 months, and i work on weekends so she has to take a bottle, here is what we have done to get her to take it, DH tries to feed her before she is really hungry, so she is more patient and not upset at all, he does not hold her while trying she will not take it if we are holding her she keeps turning her head for the breast if you do. and the milk has to be warm, like warm warm, not enough to burn her mouth but if its just room temp she wont take it. Hope that helps, but if not cup or spoon feeding is an option like others have said, ive done it, its messy but hey at least she will have some food in her .

I hope something's working for you by now. In addition to cup or spoon, another idea is a syringe. My nearly 4-month old refuses the bottle (and we've been trying for 2 months now), but my husband has gotten her to take some from a syringe. It's a big 5ml syringe for administering liquid medication - the pharmacy would probably give you one if you don't already have one.

Good luck...