Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 Mo.and barely eats

Default 10 Mo.and barely eats

Hello again...
    Noah is barely eating now. He was really enjoying solids and then 2 weeks ago got sick and since then its been downhill. He will only eat maybe 1/2 of a jar of baby food, if we are lucky. He won't touch a bottle and we are trying to get more calories in him.
    He has lost a little weight and he is very tiny as it is - hes just about 17 pounds and he'll be 10 months on Jan 8th! He will eat bits of food that we eat but not a lot. He likes to BF a lot but I defnitely don't have enough milk, I never did, so he is probably only getting a few ounces a day from me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be his teeth? What should I do b/c he really needs to start growing more and I am getting worried.

Default Re: 10 Mo.and barely eats

You are dealing with a lot of concerns and that is tough! I just wanted to let you know that my son was 18 lbs, 4 ounces at 12 mo. and is about 19 lbs now at 15 months. Unlike your son he didn't eat many solids at all until around 10 months. Even now he doesn't consume very much. Luckily he nurses quite a bit.

Have you tried all the usual things to up your supply? Why do you know your supply is low? Have you talked to your local LLL leader? I hope things improve quickly!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Any solids before a year are really just for fun and learning...your breastmilk is actually more filling and packed with more calories than many of those jarred foods.

Have you considered making his food? If it tastes better, he may be more likely to go for it. IMO, my homemade pureed fruits and veggies were always more tasty (and a lot fresher) than jarred stuff which we only used on day trips.

If there is one thing motherhood has taught me it is that (1) they will eat when they are hungry and (2) everything is a phase, the good and bad.

Just keep an eye on it.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Have you considered making his food? If it tastes better, he may be more likely to go for it. IMO, my homemade pureed fruits and veggies were always more tasty (and a lot fresher) than jarred stuff which we only used on day trips.
    What about table food? My lo is 10 months and is now eating mostly table food - she likes it so much better than pureed baby food (homemade or store bought). My first dd was the same way. Pasta, rice, veggies - all are popular with my lo.

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    What about table food? My lo is 10 months and is now eating mostly table food - she likes it so much better than pureed baby food (homemade or store bought). My first dd was the same way. Pasta, rice, veggies - all are popular with my lo.
    My LO likes our food much better than his. He'll eat a lot more if we give him some of what we're eating. I think the stuff I was making especially for him was too bland. He even started drinking lots more water without our prompting when he ate more of our food.

Plus, Christy is right - everything is a phase and will change shortly!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Read "My Child Won't Eat!" ASAP.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.