Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bed time nursing

Default Bed time nursing

Hello all! First time posting byt I need the help. My 15 month old still nurses about 2-4 time after initially going to sleep at night. During the day she nurses on and off every couple hours. My husband and I are having a hard time getting her to sleep in under 1 hour. She nurses at least 5 times and we have to have all of the lights off and be "sleeping"(we co-sleep). This is starting to take its toll on both of us. Is there any advice that anyone can give about nursing a little less? Daddy has done the tickleing and we rock, and try to keep everything calm about 1/2 hour before we start bedtime. It's usually around 9:45pm before my babe is sleeping. Thanks for your help

Default Re: Bed time nursing

Last week it was taking my 21 month old over an hour to fall asleep.
    We too would to the bed time routine and wind down - then turn off all the lights, but laying beside her, she'd want to nurse until it was painful! (i'm pregnant and have been quite sore).
    Anyhow, I needed this to stop, so came up with a plan:
    (she too would wake 2-about 5 times per night!)

I started nursing her to bed on the couch, and telling her that the milk went to sleep too (when on the bed), so basically no more milk on the bed.

We have had almost no trouble, and we've gone from 5 night wakings Monday, to 2 last night (which is an improvement). When she does wake up , it's annoying, but I take her right back to the couch. She doesn't like it, but ends up falling asleep very quicky.
    I'm going to continue and see how it goes, - but as for now, she really understands and only nurses on the couch about 5-10 minutes before falling asleep. I take her to the bed when she looks really drowsy, and she ends up knocking out on her own.

It's working for me - but may not for you - but good luck, and hope to hear about your progress.

Just a few questions before I want to answer your post. What time is she getting up in the morning? How many times does she nap during the day and for how long? How many hours does she sleep at night?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

She sleeps through the night and only wakes to nurse 2-5 times. In the past month she has been waking up crying though. She takes 2 naps during the day and they are about 1-2 hours each. She naps sometimes in the car too. She has been waking up at 6:30-9ish. when she wakes up either time she wants to nap soon after. Everything feels all jumbled up. Thanks

Is it the bedtime/going-to-sleep process that is frustrating for you or is it the night-waking or both?

Mary

It is the going to bed part. Night waking isn't so bad, but it is also her waking up just screaming. Before she just woke up and nudged me a little and we nursed.
    Thanks

Well, I can only speak from my own experience. DS is 13 mos old and was going through a similar thing not so long ago- 2 hours to get down. We switched to one nap a day after lunch (in the first few days we ate an early lunch- like 11- and gradually moved it up to noonish). The first week or so made for some rough days but now he goes down better and sleeps longer. He still gets the ammount of sleep he needs (12-21 mos= 14 hours/ day) it's just distributed differently.

Another thing that helps us is to keep a consistant bedtime routine. In our house it's bath, massage, books, nurse, sleep. Even if we have to put him down a little early or late, he always knows sleep follows that pattern and that seems to really help.

If she's waking up crying, is she teething? Our little moose always wakes up crying when he's teething- it's always worse at night when he's not as distracted from the pain as he is during the day.
    HTH!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I can remember feeling quite frustrated when bedtime nursing no longer resulted in a sleeping toddler! My magic wand was gone!
    Have you seen the book Sweet Dreams, by Dr. Paul Fleiss? It's reviewed here along with some other books on sleep.
    "Sweet Dreams, by Dr. Paul Fleiss, gives comforting suggestions for establishing relaxing and sleep-inducing daytime and nighttime rituals ..."
    Maybe your local Group library has a copy?
    Nighttime routines really vary from family to family! I have heard many different approaches from calming baths and reading books to rough and tumble playtime before settling down. Nutrition, how much naptime and active time can be factors, too. Then again, some babies are night owls, preferring to stay up late and sleep late.
    I'm not sure about the screaming. Any recent changes or disruptions in her world that she could be working through?
    Mary

Another thing that helps us is to keep a consistant bedtime routine. In our house it's bath, massage, books, nurse, sleep. Even if we have to put him down a little early or late, he always knows sleep follows that pattern and that seems to really help.
    i totally agree with kristie on the routine thing. it used to take 1-2 hours of laying in bed nursing for carter to fall asleep. but once we got a real routine...dinner, quiet play, bath, massage, book and nurse, to the crib....it all changed. now i can put him in the crib awake and he'll fall asleep on his own in a few minutes. as long as we completed his routine. and i've noticed that as we go on, he sleeps longer through the night. we're up to almost no wakings (hope i didn't just jinx myself!!). he wakes up at 6 no matter what time he goes to sleep but i can handle it if he is sleeping through the night. hth.
    jill