Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take to correct milk supply problems after flu?

Default How long does it take to correct milk supply problems after flu?

I am a new poster, so my apologies that I don't have all the acronyms down. I am in need of some serious support...

A came down with the stomach virus and a cold at the same time. It's been about week and milk supply is just terribly low. I nursed through the illnesses (and thank God my dd didn't get them) it but I was severely dehydrated and didn't eat for a couple of days. My milk supply nearly diminished. I have been educating myself on everything I need to do build back up my supply. I am still producing milk but it's just not more than about 2 ounces at each feeding/pump session.

I think I just need to hear someone tell me that they experienced a similar thing and were able to bounce back. Should I pump every hour...or every couple of hours? When can I expect to see an improvement? I have called my lactation consult but I thinks she's out of town.

I would be deeply grateful for any thoughts. My dd is only 4 months and I want to bf her for many more months.

Thank you again...sorry for the lengthy post...I'm very emotional about this. I never realized how much I would enjoy BFing and how much it would mean to me.

Default Re: How long does it take to correct milk supply problems after flu?

There's a couple things you can do to help....eat oatmeal. This will help increase your milk supply. If you go down to your local health food store, they may have a mothers lactation tea as well that will help. I would probably pump every two to three hours as well. Hope this helps a little bit. It may take a few days, but you'll get it back Good luck!!!!
    ~Sarah~

I feel your pain - my supply tanked after being sick and then I got AF on top of that the next week. I'm still not up to what I was pumping before getting sick, but I saw some increases in about 2 weeks - good luck!

Can you take the baby to bed and just rest.
    Get up only to eat and go to the bathroom.
    Lots of skin to skin contact will help remind the baby to nurse more often.
    Get lots of water to drink and rest.
    A couple days of rest and you should be back to nursing like normal.
    REmember too the baby is beter at getting out milk then the pump.
    Look up your local leader too if you need more help!
    shes free and around to help!