Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning One Breast Only?

Default Weaning One Breast Only?

My LO is turning one on New Years Day. My plan is to continue to bf until he is ready to wean. However, he does really good with solids, and I am going to also introduce cow's milk in a few weeks.

Given that the majority of his nutrition is coming from other sources now, is it possible to wean one breast only?

I have always had low supply on my right and if we are in public, I am more comfy feeding on my left. These two factors make me want to wean from the right and keep bfing on my left.

(I realize I will be lopsided; I'm ok with it! ))

Thanks, and happy new year!

Default Re: Weaning One Breast Only?

It's funny because when I read your post I thought "that's weird, why would you do that?" then I realized that I pretty much did do that My supply is low on my right as well, and I get tired of trying to get DD to take it, so it's almost always the left. So yes, it's possible. I will worn you, I'm very lopsided, and when the left is full, it's VERY full and kinda uncomfortable. I've never had a problem with her having enough on just one side though.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it kind of is happening naturally that way. It is not that I wouldn't prefer to do both, but because I have more milk on my right, it seems that my inclination is to nurse him on that side and his is to be nursed on that side (chicken or the egg -- do I have more milk on that side b/c we more frequently nurse it, because it was always that way, or a little of both?).

Knowing someone else is out there who has done it just makes me feel better! Props to the lopsided among us

I have to say with a nearly 3 year old who wants to 'swap' all the time, weaning from one breast sounds quite ok for me!

My right barely makes milke anymore so we nurse on the left only (DD is 10 months). It does make some milk when I pump, but I can go over a whole day without emptying it.