Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iron rich foods

Default Re: iron rich foods

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    OK. I see your point. As far as comparing it to other foods you consider to be HIGH in iron. I was saying (and am still saying) it's a goodsource of iron and one that people don't usually think of. Now I'll add bananas to my list. Because I am thinking in terms of what you can actually get an infant to consume and absorb. Which often doesn't include meat at all. And FWIW it's high enough in iron that when I mentioned to my Pedi at 7months that my EBF child was eating it pretty much every day, she wasn't concerned about his iron level being low. She recognized it as a food that had it and didn't feel like the iron test was needed. (Not that I care all that much what she thinks) But also when dealing with some one so little consuming it you may also have a better shot with banana than Quinoa.....

Yup, Daniel has never had low iron (even with me being anemic during my pregnancy) and he rarely eats meat.

I had no idea that kiwi had more iron than watermelon, I'm def going to add that to our rotation. Although the poops are kind of nasty
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Just to throw this in the mix - DS had never taken to any of the foods mentioned, and didn't start meat until after 1 yo and had a great iron check at 12mo ... so I think as with everything else - it's a lot of the little things that add up... a persons ability to manage the intake of food, plus the food- et cetera.

:hallo carry on

So to the OP - I say do what you can to feed your lo all kinds of foods- high iron included, with those high vit c foods and not with dairy items and if doc gets peeved that you're not giving the cereal (assuming you opt out of it) then just have him test his iron. it only takes a second

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I was interested to read Dr Jay Gordon's stance on hemoglobin testing:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/faqs/faq005.asp

I don't recommend hemoglobin screening for healthy full term breastfed babies. As with many issues, I have to assume that a baby fed "naturally" will have blood values that are correct for him or her. The values in text books are not always valid for breastfeeding babies because the data was usually gathered from formula fed infants. Babies with symptoms of anemia or illness and premature infants require different levels of care and may run low on iron and need blood tests.
    Our ped doesn't routinely test iron levels, the only reason we knew his levels was from his blood draw at an ER visit.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Per my ped the iron in meats is much more absorbable than that in leafy greens. And my DD is doing soooo much better with pooping since we got her eating more meat.

The only reason we are concerned about her hemoglobin is because her lead level was on the high side, which can cause anemia. But the hemoglobin is in the normal range, so I think we're doing pretty good at this point.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.