Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iron rich foods

Default iron rich foods

we recently went to alasdair's 6-month check up where the dr. recommended we start introducing solids, mainly cereal.
    at that point I questioned cereal's caloric and other values, as opposed to avocado, banana and other foods that seem richer + higher in nutritional value.
    she said cereal is important because around 6 months, iron in bm decreases and the cereal is iron fortified, providing the child with that much needed source of iron.
    if I'm not stoked on cereal, what other foods are rich in iron?
    thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Default Re: iron rich foods

hmmm.. just read this on kellymom.com:

Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
    The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one study (Pisacane, 1995), the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia. See Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary? for more information.

what do you think?
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

ITA with the kellymom info.

I just realized Alasdair's BDay is the day after DD's (except a year apart)!

Cereal is worthless (at best - and harmful at worst), IMO.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I have read on this board many mama's who exclusivly BF their Lo's for the first 6 months of their lives yet suffured from Iron Deficiency. So I would recommend that you give your LO Iron rich foods just to be in the safer side, such as spinich, Apricots, Millet (its a grain)...you can find lots of great suggestions in this forum.
    Last edited by Noora_z3; December 29th, 2007 at 03:12 PM.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3 View Post
    I have read on this board many mama's who exclusivly BF their Lo's for the first 6 months of their lives yet suffured from Iron Deficiency. So I would recommend that you give your LO Iron rich foods just to be in the safer side, such as spinich, Apricots, Millet (its a grain)...you can find lots of great suggestions in this forum.
    We are currently battling anemia in my DD, and she was EBF for 6 months, and given table foods and BM since then. She never would eat rice cereal, so was unable to get the extra iron that way. I can't say for sure exactly why we have problem with it, but I highly recommend you take a look at the recommendations to aid iron absorption, such as pairing high iron foods with Vitamin C to increase absorption, and feeding high iron foods at separate meals from those high in Calcium, which were things I did quite frequently. I thought because we BF that we were immune from the problem, but alas, our 1 year check-up showed otherwise, and now I'm left wondering exactly how long she's had this problem.

Cereal is not a LLL recommended 1st food. It's highly processed and has little nutritional value other than the iron they add which isn't nearly as absorbable as the iron you get from food real food.. There were some good suggestions here already but I'd just like to add watermelon. It's an easy favorite. That as well as most leafy greens. We like raw snap peas a bunch too. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

Watermelon is commonly mentioned as a high-iron food on these boards, but I'm not sure its entirely correct. It is VERY high in Vitamin C, which could be where the confusion comes from? The Iron content of 1 cup of diced watermelon is only 0.4mg which is the same as a banana. It is a great pairing to a high iron food.

One high iron we like is Quinoa! We also offer beans. I just found that Fred Meyer carries an organic canned product that is 3 varieties of beans. I love that! I rinse under hot water to heat the beans and rinse the sea salt.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Watermelon is commonly mentioned as a high-iron food on these boards, but I'm not sure its entirely correct. It is VERY high in Vitamin C, which could be where the confusion comes from? The Iron content of 1 cup of diced watermelon is only 0.4mg which is the same as a banana. It is a great pairing to a high iron food.

One high iron we like is Quinoa! We also offer beans. I just found that Fred Meyer carries an organic canned product that is 3 varieties of beans. I love that! I rinse under hot water to heat the beans and rinse the sea salt.

Lyn
    Actually last time you questioned it Lynda(Bluebird) posted a chart that showed. It has 2% of the iron recommended for an adult. Which is actually a very good percentage for a little one. You don't remember that?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Actually last time you questioned it Lynda(Bluebird) posted a chart that showed. It has 2% of the iron recommended for an adult. Which is actually a very good percentage for a little one. You don't remember that?
    Yup, I do remember. 0.4 mg in 1 cup of watermelon doesn't count as "high iron foods" in my opinion. Bananas have the same iron content, as do tomatoes. Kiwis have 0.5 mg per cup. I would agree that these are highER iron fruit choices and great compliments to iron-rich foods such as meats, beans, whole grains, etc. Plus with their high vitamin C, you can't go wrong offering them. I guess another plus for watermelon is that a child will most likely eat more of it than meat or beans or grains. But it is of the nonheme iron category which isn't as readily absorbed as the heme (meat) category.

Here is the chart (I LOVE this website!):
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20XQ.html

For example black beans have 3.6 mg, quinoa has 2.8 mg, whole oatmeal has 1.6 mg per 3/4 cup.

I remember reading in some charts that from 7-12 months, babies actually have a higher daily requirement of iron than adults (males). I was really surprised to see that.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....ts/iron.asp#h4

I don't disagree that watermelon isn't a good source of nutrition (vit C and some iron) but I truly don't consider it an iron rich food, KWIM?

Lyn

PS We do offer watermelon daily Usually with whole oatmeal at breakfast.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; December 30th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

Here is the chart (I LOVE this website!):
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20XQ.html

For example black beans have 3.6 mg, quinoa has 2.8 mg, whole oatmeal has 1.6 mg per 3/4 cup.

I remember reading in some charts that from 7-12 months, babies actually have a higher daily requirement of iron than adults (males). I was really surprised to see that.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....ts/iron.asp#h4

I don't disagree that watermelon isn't a good source of nutrition (vit C and some iron) but I truly don't consider it an iron rich food, KWIM?

Lyn

PS We do offer watermelon daily Usually with whole oatmeal at breakfast.
    OK. I see your point. As far as comparing it to other foods you consider to be HIGH in iron. I was saying (and am still saying) it's a goodsource of iron and one that people don't usually think of. Now I'll add bananas to my list. Because I am thinking in terms of what you can actually get an infant to consume and absorb. Which often doesn't include meat at all. And FWIW it's high enough in iron that when I mentioned to my Pedi at 7months that my EBF child was eating it pretty much every day, she wasn't concerned about his iron level being low. She recognized it as a food that had it and didn't feel like the iron test was needed. (Not that I care all that much what she thinks) But also when dealing with some one so little consuming it you may also have a better shot with banana than Quinoa.....

Way too lazy for formula