Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: raw apples?

Question raw apples?

How old was your LO when you gave them raw fruit, like apples without cooking to soften them?

Default Re: raw apples?

I never cooked anything to soften anything or peeled anything. I started giving my son raw apple slices with the skin at about 8.5 months

Way too lazy for formula

We haven't cooked anything either; he's either gnawed it as it was or didn't get it. He's had apple slices and pear slices since he was about 7 months old and has never had a problem.

I've always given them raw as well, but a few months ago started to suspect raw fruits and veggies to be the culprit (or at least partially to blame) for my DD's chronic constipation (basically since starting solids). I would keep it to a minimum and try to balance out with meat, fat, yogurt, broth. That's what we are doing now and pooping is going so much better!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Around 1 year we gave apples raw. I would shred them with a grates into a stringy pile and she loved them (and still likes them that way).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Cool. I have been giving her 1/4 apples for about a month now, but I saw how big the pieces were that she has been biting off, and I got nervous! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being careless!

I still haven't tried apples yet, but I started pears this week - dd is 10 months.

My ds is 6.5 months old and I cook his fruit, like apples and pears (but not bananas). I peel them & steam them, then I mush them up and spoon feed him. I wasn't comfortable doing the bls when the time came, even though I loved the idea of it and started out that way. I might start trying that again soon though.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    My ds is 6.5 months old and I cook his fruit, like apples and pears (but not bananas). I peel them & steam them, then I mush them up and spoon feed him. I wasn't comfortable doing the bls when the time came, even though I loved the idea of it and started out that way. I might start trying that again soon though.
    I'm the same. Jack seems to have a really overactive gag reflex so I'm taking it easy with the lumps for now!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!