Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 months and SICK OF PUMPING.

Default 8 months and SICK OF PUMPING.

I am feeling so down about pumping. I pumped religiously 3 times/day with my daughter and had lots of extra milk. Well, I have a different job now (this is my second baby) and I have been pumping sporadically, sometimes 2 times/day and lately down to one time/day.

I am tired of pumping. I am so scared I will have to supplement with formula. I am tandem nursing my 2 1/2 yr old daughter and my 8 month old son. My supply has seemingly dropped.

My insecurities about my milk supply are not helped much by my daughter saying, "There is no milky."

My son is taking on lots of solids at daycare and my supply seems to barely keep up.

I know how to get my supply back up - PUMP, PUMP, PUMP.

I am just so sick of pumping. Let me mention that I am an outside sales person in Minneapolis. I pump in my car, often times with freezing cold horns... Does anyone else feel this way? How bad is supplementing one bottle a day? I am just really in need of encouragement.

Kristy
    anxious about supply, sick of pumping

Default Re: 8 months and SICK OF PUMPING.

Hi!

Your right about pumping or nursing more often being a solution for most mothers with a dipping supply.
    I am wondering if in addition to pumping less you are seeing the return of your menstral cycle? This can also cause a temporary dip in supply. It can be discouraging to pump when you know you are producing less milk. The best thoughts i have on the matter are that any milk you do produce; as hard won as it is, is super important to the health of your baby. All those anti bodies hunting for viruses and bacteria. What a great mama you are! Out there in the cold pumping!

Have you thought about calling your local LLL leader for some information or support?

Kristy,

I so know what you mean. I did it for almost a year in the best of circumstances....My employer has a dedicated room with a couch and fridge but it gets old really quick. Everytime I turned around it was time to pump.

For entertainment, I had a white board installed and another mother and I wrote messages back and forth just to keep things interesting.

Its a drag and you know where your limit is. No matter what you do from here on in, you should feel a success. Its a lot more than most mothers.

I'm definitely getting caught up on all of my reading! HA!!!

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

Well, I may need to call a LLL leader for support. It feels weird, because I know what I need to do. I have been nursing continuously for 2 years and 7 months and have hit a wall with regards to pumping.

Kristy

I haven't gone as long as you, nor do I even have to kids to tandem nurse, so while I send you hugs and love and some understanding.....I can't even think of hwo I would feel. I have been pumping for a year and I want to be done!!! after his 1 year Dr appt i am going to. So good for ou for doing what you have done so far and if you can keep going you are totally awsome!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I don't really know what to say except try to make pumping more enjoyable, if you really think you do want to keep up with it. Maybe have a special snack or book/magazine to read that you look forward to. Or if there were a friend you could call and talk to while pumping to entertain yourself. Maybe some plush car seat covers??? I don't know!!!

As far as supplementing, would the baby take a bottle with some water in it? Or a pacifier instead? Like you said he's getting solids, so I don't think he's starving. Do you co-sleep and nurse at night so he can make up for whatever he needs to? If so, then I wouldn't worry if pumping is just too much to handle.

Hang in there. You're doing awesome!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I feel for you - pumping is TOUGH! Sounds like you are tired, frustrated, and maybe ready to be done with it. I think that it is a personal choice you need to make. You have been breastfeeding and pumping for a long time now, and it is ok to feel the way you do. I think if it were me, I may want to try to get my baby up to 1 yr before I weaned him/her. But, I think in all reality, you need to do what is best for your self-esteem and overall well-being.

Good luck!

Wow! I admire you. Pumping out in the cold! That is dedication. Dont give up! maybe for the times you pump inside, use the laptop? Once I learnt to pump and surf life became so much easier.