Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any advice??

Default Re: any advice??

hi sorry it's taken a while to get on. for some reason the forums were not loading for me. I ended up talking to the LC yesterday and she told me that since i get more with hand expression to do that but to still pump. but i figured out that i can pump for 2-5 minutes, then hand express and repeat this for about 15 minutes. I seem to get a lot more. She gave me more advice. like bathing with baby, napping with him etc. plus told me to do the things I am already doing. It was good to be reassured that I am on the right path!
    Yesterday I got an oz the entire day, today I got 1.5 oz. I am noticing my supply really starting to get better instead of a small change like 1/4th an oz it's going bigger lol. I am so glad to see such a jump today ! He is nursing still but only with the shield on so I did order the SNS I should get tomorrow or Monday. I am doing that to hopefully get him back on the breast without the shield. Since he has been nursing but not getting much I find that whenever he is tired he wants to nurse to sleep so that is really helping as well.
    I am really exciting seeing a 50 % increase today. I am thinking it starts slow but catches up
    I wanted to thank everyone for the advice! I think we are doing the right things! hopefully he will latch with the SNS. since he doesn't have a nipple preference with milk is coming out.
    about the flange (sp) my nipples do not touch the sides. but my nipple gets so far sucked in it's like an inch long in there lol. but figuring out the pump then hand expression thing has really made the pumping work. it's like the pump get's the milk closer to coming out, just not out. so i hand express to get it out if that makes sense.

I will keep everyone updated! I want to thank all of you again! I am so certain that if we keep this up the way it is going he will be nursing like a champ in no time! This is just what I wanted

So great to hear things are working better for you!

Question Re: any advice??

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    As far as seeing results, LLL typically suggests it will take as long as you have been away from BF full-time to get back there. Since it's been about 5 weeks for you, it could take about that long. Maybe a little shorter or longer, but that is the estimate that LLL gives.
    This part of the post you wrote is giving me hope:

I am a first time mother. My daughter is about 11 1/2 weeks old. At two weeks I stopped breastfeeding temporaily to "heal" and pumped and bottlefed for about 4 days (advice from a LC). After putting my daughter back on the breast, again, the pain was to much for me, nipples were horribly cracked again so I decided that I was going to exclusively pump which I did until she was about 6 weeks. For the past five weeks she has been on formula. I regret it terribly and I want to start breastfeeding again. Even if I have to exclusively pump, I really just want her to have the benefits of breastmilk. She will not get back on my breast unless I use a shield and even that can be a fight sometimes. I am pumping for like 5-10 minutes every hour of the waking day (I have been doing this for almost a week now). I only get a couple of beads of milk, (which is actually a slight improvement. I was getting nothing before). I am also taking an herbal supplement called More Milk Plus which contains Fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, nettle leaf, and fennel seed. Today I went to my daughters pediatrition and after telling her my situation she told me to give it one more week and if nothing happens its too late I am probably dried out. (Talk about feeling discouraged) But what you wrote is making me feel better.

A few questions to make sure I am on the right track:
    1) Does it matter that she will only go to the breast with a shield? Will that still help?

2) Is the supplement I am taking ok or should I use the plain fenugreek? Or maybe take both together?

3) I was also once told that pumping exclusively is setting yourself up for failure. Is that true? If I am never able to get my daughter back on the breast, will pumping exclusively stop working?

4) Should I be waking up in the middle of the night to pump as well?

Hopefully this will work for me. The guilt I feel for stopping giving her breastmillk I think feels worse then the physical pain I felt trying to feed her.

A few questions to make sure I am on the right track:
    1) Does it matter that she will only go to the breast with a shield? Will that still help?

I only come here to get help but I thought I would help encourage you! It's been Over a month since I started trying. I went from just drops to getting 3 oz a day now. I could only get him to latch with the shield which still can be a fight but wanted to say that today for the first time he latched EACH side for over 15 minutes apiece WITHOUT the shield! I totally feel he just needed to get into the routien and get used to it. granted he will only comfort nurse now, but soon enough he will actually nurse for nourishment.
    also once I was able to figure out how to encourage a let down is when I really started to see my improvement. sometimes nothing is coming out so i have to massage and litterly tickle my nipples and then the milk starts coming out! I thought I had nothing but in fact I had some I just couldn't get it to come out.

3) I was also once told that pumping exclusively is setting yourself up for failure. Is that true? If I am never able to get my daughter back on the breast, will pumping exclusively stop working?

I don't know about this since the pump doesn't work for me I can't seem to get a let down with it. so i have to hand express. But I completely feel that if you keep working at it and are able to get ANYTHING at all it's good to try. What keeps me going now is seeing my tiny 3 oz bottle he gets a day. But that is completely worth the day of expressing! I know there are a lot of women that have to exclusively pump. The good thing is though that once you start getting more milk, maybe she will start to latch when she starts to actually get something from the breast know what i mean?

4) Should I be waking up in the middle of the night to pump as well?

I was told to pump at least every 3-4 hours at night. But what I do is when he wakes up to eat I have my husband feed him and I express. I don't set a time because I have my 22 month old who still wakes as well. so I am expressing about every 4 hours

Hopefully this will work for me. The guilt I feel for stopping giving her breastmillk I think feels worse then the physical pain I felt trying to feed her.

that's how i felt that is why I am not giving up! YOU CAN DO THIS! If you stay strong and dedicated it can and will work! FOr me I have a great support that is helping me by encouraging me ! esp the ladies here with the wonderful advice! GOodluck to you and let me know how it works! Our babies are about the same age

Thank you, I am still trying!