Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice??

Default any advice??

first my son was born 5-2-06 he is now 7 weeks old. I have been trying to relactate since he was a little over 5 weeks, but really started getting active since Sunday (everyday he would latch some but now i am trying before every feeding etc) he does comfort nurse a lot now. nothing very aggressive sense he usually falls asleep while doing so.

I had breast augmentation surgery on July 11th of 2005

got pregnant Early August due to an opps with FAM and a steroid shot for capsular contraction

I had him May 2nd less then 10 months post surgery
    I knew i may have BF issues due to the surgery and still healing.

well I nursed for 1 week. then off and on for a week. the pain was horrible. I know nursing can hurt but it was just unbearable. I think some of it may have to do with me not even being a year out and completely healed due to my surgery. I had the peri-areola incision, so whenever he would suck the scar tissue was in his mouth and so painful. I know for a fact I did have milk. I had a fine supply to full fill him so I am hopeing to be able to at least feed him a few times a day.
    Everyone who helped said he was latched perfectly and it shouldn't be hurting too bad. I met with the LC and a LLL leader, they said he nursed beautifully but I gave up too soon due to some stress at home.

well the 8th I got pink eye and pumped to see if i could get some BM to help with that. I got half an oz. mostly from my right breast.

I started that Sunday latching him. he latched for an hour on the right not really getting anything but he was comfort nursing while falling in and out of sleep
    then the rest of the week i tried, he would latch a few minutes a day at least. but i wasn't too pushy about it because i was hopeing to slowly toughen my nipples...(now i wish i was aggressive from the beginning)

friday i bought some fenugreek . 3 pills 3 times a day.
    he barely latched from friday to sunday and i think it may be due to me getting my first PPAF, or maybe the fenugreek taste? but i am now taking 3 pills 4 times a day (they are only 350 mg a piece)

my pump has to be on the highest setting to even get drops.( I am using the medela PIS) I continue to pump BUT am not sure if it will just cause more damage then good?? since I am not getting anything out on the highest setting? should i just use a lower setting as to give stimulation?
    since the pump isn't getting anything I try hand expression and can get a few squirts, then massage and get a few more then I get only drops then nothing.

anyway. I wanted to ask for some advice, or maybe just some support as i don't want to give up this time.(I tried to relactate with my first but gave up soon after because he had reflux and cried constantly i didn't want to aggrivate him more then i was)

He will only latch with the nipple shield, I do keep trying to get him to latch without it to just get some more stimulation but as it is he will not take it...I really wish I would of thought to use one in the beginning of my problems because I may have stuck it out longer. but i didn't think of it.

i haven't noticed a big change yet at all in supply.

when should I notice a change? I would think i could tell easily if i get milk or not because of the implants?? but not positive..he has been on enfamil AR because of reflux (nothing bad like my first) so he has hard ball poops. yesterday i noticed it was softer and i *think* I MAY have seen seedy poop...(I was at the park and didn't want to star too long lmao)
    then today another softer poop. not really seedy but softer then it has been so maybe just maybe he is getting something!

any random advice to help me? I really really wish and pray that i can do this this time.

i do have a capsular contracion (hardening of scar tissue )in my right breast as well.... i may need surgery to fix it but will wait if i am able to nurse him. I just want to be able to nurse him as much as possible. even if it's only once in the morning or at night. i figure starting out not expecting too much might help me not get discouraged.

I don't want to give up too early but don't know how long i should wait to get some milk in... i do have Some but not much ... typically how long does it usually take for someone to notice a diffence? how long should i continue the fenugreek for? I orded some blessed thistle as well and am waiting for that to come in.
    he nursed 9 times total today anywhere from 5 minutes to 20...and pumped 4 times.

this is so long. thanks to anyone who has time to read and give me some advice/support.

thank you ! I am sure i missed some things I wanted to say!

Default Re: any advice??

Hi there,
    I have to say that I am amazed and impressed that you are trying so hard with this! You are one tough lady!!

So, something that jumped out at me was that you get more milk with hand expression than with the Medela PIS. Is it new? Used? That could make a huge difference. Would you be willing to rent a hospital-grade pump? The PIS has been touted as being as effective as a rental, but it is not quite the same. It does not cycle quite the same way. It may not be the pump, but I would be remiss if I did not mention this to you. A rental pump could make a difference.

The fact that he is latching and actively nursing is WONDERFUL!!! And that you have seen a little change in his BM's is great! Keep up all of that breast-time.

If he is actively sucking during the times he goes to breast (you said 9 times today) and you have pumped additionally 4 times, that sounds pretty equal to the recommended 8-12 times in 24 hours needed to stimulate a full supply. You really are half-way there, it sounds like!

As far as seeing results, LLL typically suggests it will take as long as you have been away from BF full-time to get back there. Since it's been about 5 weeks for you, it could take about that long. Maybe a little shorter or longer, but that is the estimate that LLL gives. But you have a lot of positives going for you right now. The fact that he LIKES to nurse is huge--this is so great. Lots of moms try to establish a supply with a baby who will not even go to the breast.

Keep up all of your hard work, and let me know about your pump!

Hi Kate ! Thanks so much for the reply!
    The pump is new! I think it may just be me, because when I tried to relactate with my first son I rented the lactina from the hospital and still only got the same results I am seeing now (but then again my first wouldn't even go to the breast so I only tried for a week before quitting (he was also 6 weeks when i started)

tonight I am seeing a smalllll change, but it is better then nothing at all. I think the fenugreek may be working now but I have been on it since friday so i was getting nervous.

about him nursing..when he is he really isn't activly sucking. it's lazy and spuratic (sp) most of the time. will that still help??

Thanks again!!! I find it easier this time as well I think because I am staying at home and not having visitors to help add to the stress and nerves!

Oh yes, any stimulation at the breast is wonderful! You will set the hormones into high-gear by having him do that, even if it is not "active sucking". Is he sucking and swallowing? Do you see him swallow?

But combined with this you do need to remove milk from the breast to make more, and the more you remove the more you make!

You are right about investing the time. Relactation really is a full-time job, and other that having someone come by with dinner or groceries it is definitely not the time to be entertaining! Take any help you can get though, to make your life a little easier.

And small changes are good! Keep it up!

I don't notice swallowing. But I can tell the difference when he sucks actively hie ears wiggle lol, when he doesn't it's just kinda like he is playing with the nipple.

I have had him at the breast either 10 or 11 times today, pumped 4 times (this morning I did get a bit more then usual ! BUT usually he nurses in the morning but he was still asleep so I wanted to get a head start at the milk production.

I guess since it's the removal that is most important I will have to keep at Hand expressing. after he nurses I will do it some and get a few quirts, then again after I pump. I am hoping this is going to do that trick

that's the hardest part about relactating, having to remove milk when the pump doesn't really help do that lol. I can't see if he is removing some only if i am.

He did have another soft poop today. so i really think he is getting something...it's just hard to tell without seeing much more then drops with the pump and with him not really swallowing.

thanks again! I have been living by stimulation lol. 1-2 times an hour at least I do something. I am hoping the more I work at it now , the less time it will take to get to my goal.

You really are doing such a great job! I am so impressed with your dedication.

By the way, could you get back in touch with the LC you had been working with?

yes! i am hoping to go tomorrow. My mom just called a bit ago and she is going to watch my older son. Now just waiting to see if she has time to meet with me tomorrow

Well I called today the only 2 hospitals in my area to find someone. the LC at one hospital didn't sound too interested in helping me. I told her I needed to make sure baby is latching on the shield correctly and told her how I don't get anything from the pump like I do from Hand expression. I told her all the different pumps I have tried. her only comment was for me to rent a different pump. I really won't waist the money on yet another rental tha possibly won't work. I even asked if possibly the size of the shields on the pump are maybe too big/small. When I pump my entire areola ends up in the pump. So I am not sure if that effects it. She also said to pump every 2 hours or hand express. which i am already doing, but she wants me to continue for another week. I am just afraid to get those blisters again from the pump .

then The hospital I delievered at I called at 8 am and didn't recieve a call back yet (it's now 7:20)
    Now I have to wait until I have a sitter again.

I did however purchase the supplimental nursing system today. I bought the full one though because the last time I tried the starter kit one and that was so hard to use and never stayed clipped.

soo hopefully that will do us some good.

Try going to a LLL meeting maybe someone there can take a look at the baby latch and you can get more advise on pumping. I'm trying to picture the info you gave about when you pump, does it hurt? Try using a smaller insert to see if it makes a difference.

You sound very determined, I wish you all the luck!

Can you explain more about what you mean when you said that your whole areola ends up in the pump? I am assuming you mean it fills the flange, right? It should not be rubbing on the sides in either direction. Does it do this?