Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby teeth and nursing...OUCH! I need help!!! Possible TMI!

Default Baby teeth and nursing...OUCH! I need help!!! Possible TMI!

My son is almost 9 months old and he has been EBF thus far. He has had three bottom teeth and one upper front tooth for about 3-4 months now. I did not have any problems nursing him with his new teeth until recently when his second upper front tooth came in.

Now for some reason his upper front tooth is literally cutting my nipple where it connects to my aeriola (sp?). He isn't biting me but rather his tooth scraps my skin each time he sucks, creating a gash which has become swollen and red.

I am not exactly sure what to do and fear that I might have to stop breastfeeding before I had intended to because I am in sever pain each time I go to nurse him. My one breast is so bad that it has bled and I know that I tense up each time he nurses. I have continued to offer both breast despite the pain because I am afraid of my milk supply decreasing (and I have worked WAY to hard to get it to were it is today!).

What can I do?

Thanks!
    Beth

Default Re: Baby teeth and nursing...OUCH! I need help!!! Possible TMI!

Hi beth,
    That sounds really uncomfortable. What positions do you nurse baby in? Do you notice if your baby is sucking very hard in the beginning of a feed? What about reducing time between nursing so baby isn't over anxious. Might reduce the strength with which baby sucks, if baby isn't super hungry.

Poor mama.

Default Re: Baby teeth and nursing...OUCH! I need help!!! Possible TMI!

My lo has the same teeth and more. Although there is an occasional bite I do not feel the scrapping you describe. I've read that older babies can get lazy with their latch and also that sometimes they latch differently secondary to teething pain. So check out the latch and try different positions so that area gets a break.