Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green beans

Default Green beans

I am making my own baby food but the book I've been using as guidance does not have anything about green beans. Anyone know what I need to do to prepare them? Should I use fresh or frozen?
    Will green beans make my son gassy?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Green beans

Green beans are a good first food. They shouldn't make your baby too gassy. You can use either fresh or frozen. I find the frozen veggies more convenient unless fresh is inexpensive and in season. Just cook the veggies as you would normally (in water) until fairly soft. Then, after it cools, place the beans and some of the water you cooked it in (this keeps in the nutrients) in the blender or food processor. Blend until it's the thickness your baby needs. Are you doing the "ice cube" method for freezing? Then you can make up a whole batch and freeze the green beans in ice cube trays. Very handy so that when you need veggies, you just pull out a cube the night before or that day and defrost it.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Green beans

You could also steam the beans until very soft, then simply mash with a fork. Some babies who enjoy texture and a little chewing won't even need them mashed.