Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does she need cow's milk?

Default Does she need cow's milk?

I am working on slowly weaning my 18-month-old. We've been on 3x a day sessions for 6 months or so, and just in the last week are down to 2x a day. I wonder if she's getting enough milk from those two sessions, especially since we're now only nursing on one side (not my choice). I never give her cow's milk, although she does drink a little at daycare with the other kids. She eats plenty of cheese and yogurt. But the only thing she drinks at home besides my milk is water.

Should I try to give her cow's milk to make up for the nursing session we cut out? And should I give her more as we continue the weaning process? I hope to have her weaned by around her 2nd birthday (June), possibly sooner if I get pg before then.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Default Re: Does she need cow's milk?

According to the info I have it recommends 2-3 servings of dairy/day.

1 serving is 1/2 milk, or 1/2 oz. cheese, or 1/3 C yoghurt (as a guideline)

If it all balances out in a weeks time, you're doing fine

This all from a mom who's LO is allergic to dairy and gets none - so we have other things to 'make up' for it
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Cow's milk is for cows.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

cow's milk is just an easy way to get calcium and fat. there are other sources of both. check out this website for non-dairy sources of calcium. As far as fat, my son eats peanut butter, avocados, hummus, etc. He doesn't have dairy or meat in his diet and he is a healthy little boy. hth.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleysmum View Post
    Cow's milk is for cows.
    Indeed!

Here's another resource to add to the PP's wonderful posts: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Congratulations for making it this far, mama. You should be very proud of yourself!

Hey, I've been hearing really good things about hempmilk as an alternative to cow's milk (for me, not the LO. He's still lovin on mama's milk) Anyone have any other good info?
    Last edited by mommylaura; January 2nd, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Thanks for the awesome links ladies! I've never been a big fan of cow's milk, I guess it's just the mainstream mama in me that just won't go away. They need SOME kind if milk when they're babies, right? I have to remind myself that my dd eats enough cheese and yogurt to feed a small army, so there probably isn't any need for cow's milk. I'll just let her drink it at daycare if she wants it, and continue to let her drink water and my milk at home.

mommylaura, I've never heard of hemp milk, but it sounds interesting! I'd love to hear others' experiences with it.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by *MaggieMay* View Post
    Thanks for the awesome links ladies! I've never been a big fan of cow's milk, I guess it's just the mainstream mama in me that just won't go away. They need SOME kind if milk when they're babies, right? I have to remind myself that my dd eats enough cheese and yogurt to feed a small army, so there probably isn't any need for cow's milk. I'll just let her drink it at daycare if she wants it, and continue to let her drink water and my milk at home.

mommylaura, I've never heard of hemp milk, but it sounds interesting! I'd love to hear others' experiences with it.
    Hey MaggieMay...Glad those links helped you! I know what you mean about cow's milk - I grew up on it and everywhere you look you hear, "It does a body good!", right?! It wasn't until I had Noah that I started questioning conventional wisdom more and more, and as I opened up my ears more to what people were saying, it seems that dairy is not just bad for those with dairy allergies, but it's really not that great for the general human species! Yes, it has some good stuff in it, but the bad stuff doesn't seem to make it worth drinking it for the good stuff, especially since you can get the good stuff from other wonderful sources.

Anyway, not trying to bash on anyone's dairy preferences by any means! Just sharing some info I was appreciative to have come across...some seems extreme, but most of it made a lot of sense.

Here are some links:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...n/danger01.asp

http://www.notmilk.com/

Oh! I did a little more research on hemp milk since we were on the subject and found this:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=950025

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/nutri...asp?itemID=245

Let me know what you think when you have the time!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com