Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frozen breastmilk and airport security

Default frozen breastmilk and airport security

hi all!

we're getting ready to fly in late january with our 7 month old. i'd like to take some frozen breastmilk (or as we call them, boobcicles) with me so my mom can take the baby for an evening or two while we're visiting. has anyone flown with frozen breastmilk in their carry-on or stowed luggage? how did you do that, dry ice?

i'm worried about some terrible security scene and wasting a bunch of boobcicles.

thanks!

Default Re: frozen breastmilk and airport security

I don't know about frozen milk but I do know that you can take breastmilk in general. I'm going to be traveling soon myself although I wont be taking milk w/me but I happened to read about it here. It mentions bm in liquid form but doesn't say anything about frozen bm I would suggest taking a liquid batch or several that you pump a few days prior to the flight so that they are ready to use when you're over there. Perhaps in an insulated cooler, you could get ice on the plane?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Here's some information:
    http://www.llli.org/Release/tsabreas...icyupdate.html
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...reastmilk.html (written before the new guidelines, but still useful)

thank you home executive! the info about freezing and refreezing in that second link is very helpful!

I bought a cooler and packed frozen BM in bags inside it that I carried on the plane. In the cooler I packed those frozen blue ice packs and regular ice in bags. I tossed the regular ice bags right before I went through security. Then when I was through the security I stopped at one of those fast food places and filled my cooler back up with regular ice.

The milk was still frozen solid during the trip and made it to the hotel just fine.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09